9 Questions That Atheists Might Find Insulting (And the Answers)

All perfectly good answers, but way too long - for those kind of questions, one needs one-liner zingers that pack at least as much rhetorical punch as the questions. :slight_smile:

Shall we try?

I have difficulty in imagining a case where a dilemma of this format can be successfully falsified on such a basis. Even with absurdities like: “is the coffee bitter because the dog is barking, or because it is raining?” it would still be a false dilemma based on the fact that the options were not exhaustive.

(It is of course possible that the coffee is not bitter or does not exist.)

Can he selectively switch off his omniscience at will? Omnipotence guarantees that he [i]must[/i] be able to do so, already knowing the outcome!
The concept of omnipotence introduces so many self-contradictions as well as contradictions with other purported characteristics of God, that there is an argument to be made that the existence of an omnipotent god is a necessary falsehood. The questions "Does God exist?" and "Does a god exist?" then yield distinctly different answers.

Questions dont offend nor insult me. What does get my goat up is statements such as one I received yesterday:

“You are a good person because the holy spirit is within in you, you just dont want to acknowledge it”

THAT pisses me off.

Ouch! That implies that your goodness is not of your own doing, so you are in fact no-good.

Ha, Just say “yea sure my favorite holy spirit is ”

Or you can point out that they don’t know there theology because the holy spirit can’t be where it’s not invited.

I hope so. Put the questions up here and we’ll take a go at them. Answers should preferably be perfectly polite, but force them to think.

Okay, here goes:

• How can you be moral without believing in God?
    A: Like you, as a child I learned morality from my parents and peers. Today I understand why morality is essential for a harmonious society, whereas God isn’t.

• How do you have any meaning in your life?
    A: It seems foolish to me to insist that life must have meaning beyond that which you shape for yourself with a little help from others. Besides, I don’t see how God can give any real meaning to anything.

• Doesn’t it take just as much/even more faith to be an atheist as it does to be a believer?
    A: No, it takes much more courage, introspection, objectivity and intellectual honesty to realise and to accept a hard truth.

• Isn’t atheism just a religion?
    A: No, atheists don’t gather weekly to have someone reassure them how wonderfully non-existent God is.

• What’s the point of atheist groups? How can you have a community and a movement for something you don’t believe in?
    A: Is the need for kinship a social animal feels any less urgent without God? Especially for one that has traditionally been ostracised, mistrusted, derided and shunned?

• Why do you hate God?
    A: It’s plainly absurd to think that I can or do hate something the existence of which you know I strongly doubt. If there’s anything I hate, it’s the idea of God and the enormous harm it has done and continues to do wherever it surfaces.

• But have you [read the Bible or some other holy book; heard about some supposed miracle; heard my story about my personal religious experience]?
    A: You are mistaken to suppose that I will find one [imaginative work of fiction; anecdote; testimonial] more compelling than what is solidly established knowledge that has done more for mankind’s welfare than belief in God ever has.

• What if you’re wrong?
    A: I’ll wager you one Pascal that I’m not, but if I am then I trust God is forgiving enough to appreciate that I was wrong for all the right reasons.

• Why are you atheists so angry?
    A: Anger and concerned disappointment can look remarkably similar to an outsider.

Your turn.

'Luthon64

Well it seems that I can’t do short AND polite after all. :frowning:

Because I have no Biblical obligation to kill, enslave, hate and belittle.

I own a Cat Stevens record.

• Doesn’t it take just as much/even more faith to be an atheist as it does to be a believer?
It takes no faith at all, only the simple understanding that whatever is the most probable is also the most likely.

I’ll have to check with the SARS and get back to you.

• What’s the point of atheist groups? How can you have a community and a movement for something you don’t believe in?
Similar minds attract. Big, impressive ones even more so.

• Why do you hate God?
I can’t help it! He’s just so poorly written: brimming with unlikely and paradoxical characteristics, and with almost no attempt at character development. I think Achilles was done so much better.

• But have you [read the Bible or some other holy book; heard about some supposed miracle; heard my story about my personal religious experience]?
Probably. Or if not your particular version, certainly similar ones.

• What if you’re wrong?
I’m not. He is poorly written.

Jaywalkers. They really get my goat. Grrrr.

Rigil

Hehehe, I noticed the same thing when I tried to come up with answers. Then again, there are times when it is perfectly legitimate to get a bit on the brusque side. My answers below attempt not to go overboard with sarcasm. I think they may in fact make people think a bit, or open up longer and deeper conversations.

Here goes, with some answers followed by comments in brackets:

You can’t. I’m completely immoral.
(If the proselytizer happens to know you well, and knows for a fact that you are not immoral, he will now be forced to think a bit instead of just trying to smother you in a scattershot of rhetorical questions.)

I have no meaning in my life. I find I am perfectly happy living a meaningless existence.
(Same as above. Very often, they ask these absurd questions in a thoughtless sort of way simply because that is what their handlers taught them to do. They think that the question is all that’s necessary to prove their point. If they are people that know you, they will know your life is in fact not meaningless, and they will now be forced to start asking real questions, and to keep their minds a bit more open. I have to say, mind you, that my above answer is actually pretty much the honest truth! ;D)

No.

No. At least not in my way of practicing the required rituals.

Similar minds attract.
(Which is exactly what a previous poster already said, though in this particular case, I think the believer maybe has a good point…)

• Why do you hate God?
I don’t hate God at all. It’s his fan club I am uncomfortable with.

I have indeed read the Bible. Most fundamentalists have not.
(A recent piece of research indicated that atheists on average know the Bible vastly better than fundamentalists).

As for “Have you heard my story about my personal religious experience?”
I had a similar experience once. It led me to Buddhism.

• What if you’re wrong?
A god that would send people to hell for no greater sin than having believed the wrong thing, is a God so immoral he does not deserve anything more from humans than contempt. If this is really what God is like, then I’ll console myself with the thought that in hell I will at least be in good company.

I am not. But I can of course only speak for myself.
(In my experience, many atheists really do come across as angry and embittered - they are not doing their own side any favours in the process.)

Well, I like to think the above is not overly aggressive or unpleasant. Jeez, the fundies don’t make it easier. I have a colleague at work who is endlessly curious about what church other people go to, and she has now begun inviting me to her church. Her questions and arguments are just as maddeningly empty-headed (“But aren’t you grateful that Jesus died for your sins?”) and I have to try hard to remain polite (she is actually a very nice lady, and I work for a small company where preserving the harmony is really important).

Humans have evolved to be moral, compassionate beings. Our survival depends on it.

I still feel emotions like love, atheists aren’t unfeeling robots. The people in my life give me meaning, making a difference in the world gives me meaning too.

I do my best to base my beliefs on evidence, which is the antithesis of faith. I also question everything, which is unacceptable to the faithful.

Is abstinence a sexual position? Is staying at home having a braai a type of motorsport?

There aren’t that many atheists around and I barely ever see any of them, but everyone likes to hang out with people they have something in common with, if only every now and then. It’s not like we have weekly meetings.

• Why do you hate God?
I can’t hate something that I don’t believe exists. But tell me, why do you hate Vishnu?
(They’ll be forced to at least contemplate the exact same answer, and if they try to weasel out about vishnu maybe existing, then you’ve got a REAL fun debate ahead…)

If your miracle/story/experience is really proof I think you should claim your $1m from James Randy.
(I’ve actually had this discussion with a diagnosed schizophrenic who told me his visions were proof of god. That’s one sensitive situation)

• What if you’re wrong?
What if you’re wrong about [insert diety here]? (TBH my answer is usually a long explanation of what Pascal’s wager is and why I reject it)

There are good christians and bad christians, and there are angry atheists and happy ones, people are individuals, I wouldn’t blame you for something a fellow christian did, why do you paint us all with the same brush? Do you really want to know why some atheists are angry, Can I give you a couple of examples?

Well I think I have ethics and I don’t believe in God so clearly possible.

Knowing you only get one chance, makes me appreciate it all that more

Does it take faith to not believe in Zeus?

Like not collecting stamps is a hobby (I borrowed that one)

People like to associate with people that are similar, it’s healthy to have a community.

• Why do you hate God?
Do you hate Zeus?

I’m familiar about the history of the Bible to know it’s not something I’d base my life on, as for your experience I’m sure it’s real to you, but
it’s only a subjective experience so if I never have one does it mean I was not of the chosen ones?

• What if you’re wrong?
Then I am, in any case eternity in heaven starts to sound like it’s own hell to me.

Don’t know them all to tell you, I’m certainly not.