A hole in the clouds

A correspondent on another forum posted this photo. I wonder if anyone here has any idea what would cause this sort of curious “hole” in the clouds?

Before she posted the picture, she talked about the curious “spaceship” cloud, and my first thought was that it would just be yet another picture of a lenticular cloud. But this is not it. Over to our resident meteorology experts, if we have any.

It looks like a fallstreak hole. http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/fallstreak-holes-–-a-new-understanding/

Yup, that’s probably it. Thanks for the information. I have never heard of this phenomenon before. The funny thing is, I’ll probably soon observe it myself, no that I know about it. I spend quite a bit of time watching clouds, and I have noticed that the more I know about them, the more phenomena I notice.

I have also sort of forgotten about the Cloud Appreciation Society. I should go browse around on their site a bit, because despite my love for clouds, I still have great trouble telling some of the various types apart.