Beginning to Exist

cyghost finally got to the wiki article on ye old Kalaam and viola! Food for thought for those who can think.

Very cool, I especially liked Victor Stenger’s rebuttal:

Craig has retorted that quantum events are still "caused", just caused in a nonpredetermined manner- what he calls "probabilistic causality". In effect, Craig is thereby admitting that the cause in his first premise could be an accidental one, something spontaneous - something not predetermined. By allowing probabilistic cause he destroys his own case for a predetermined creation.

Not so fast there!

1. WRT “particles”, we actually do not know. We do not know what was going on in the first bazillionths of a second of the Bang. We do not know what notions of “time” might have been appropriate. We do not know how whatever it is that blew came about. We do not know what types of “stuff” were there. For all we know said Bang might be part of a cyclic process in some form of “time” different to what we can deal with as space-time. We cannot say that what is left after the Bang “came into existence”, as we just do not know. And positing “god” as the answer to what we do not know has never proved to be of lasting benefit. If you really, really want to have a “god” as initiator of the universe, so be it, but there has been no sign of it since, so it remains a pretty meaningless idea.

2. “Potential” existence is just a whole pile of hooey in terms of explaining anything. “Potential existence” is simply no existence at all, and the words are just herring, red.

So no, we are not all in frabjous happy agreement.

My, my, you are touchy! I would have thought that my rather generous attempts to help you with your English would have been deserving of at least a smidgen of gratitude rather than a rude jibe about my senility. C’est la vie, I suppose. :frowning:

Particles can pop in an out of existence whilst humans and computers do not. Their existence depends on relatively stable arrangements of particles. They both exist, but they begin to exist in different ways.

Certain things need to exist before other things can. Stars are necessary for the formation of heavier elements for example.