Dominees and belief

An essay from psychohistorian.org that I thought was interesting and would like to draw attention to.

psychohistorian.org: So the other day

So the other day the discussion was about church minsters (“dominees”, reverends), and how many of them truly believe in God.

Interesting piece. What I understood from this, in short, is that by applying ostensibly flawless logic to cherry-picked flawed axioms, you can support any argument to your own satisfaction.

This is the main reason why I wouldn’t mind seeing Theology stripped from its academic jacket.

OK, first of all Mintaka: awesome avatar (I have owned 2 Harleys).

Anyway, to the post. I don’t buy what is asserted in this article. I grew up in the buckle of the Bible Belt in the US. There, it is taken as fact that the Bible is correct, and everthing and everyone should be somehow part of the story.
I could tell you about what I was told as a child to be absolutely true, and you wouldn’t… well you probably would believe me, but there was never any wiggle room with regard to God’s plans, rules, etc…
As a very logical type, it is one of the main things that caused my loss of faith. There was always the cognitive dissonance that I could not resolve by holding on to the indoctrination I had received. And please understand, that it took a great deal to overcome my indoctrination, and yes I am a bit bitter about it.
I think some (including priests, et al) squelch the cognitive dissonance to hold on to something that they have so much invested in. However, I also believe that many either do not truly believe or are miserably attributing it to “a test” by the devil (or God I suppose since he evidently does this as well).
For me there is just too much that does not make sense in general, notwithstanding the total lack of evidence that God has ever done ANYTHING.
I think anyone with a whit of intelligence and intellecutual honesty would be looking at the same issues. If they say there is no problem, or try to acquiesce them away, then they are either ignorant or a liar.

OK, first of all Mintaka: awesome avatar (I have owned 2 Harleys).

Thank you, Stix, nothing like winding a thundering Sportster through the twisties, eh?

There was always the cognitive dissonance that I could not resolve by holding on to the indoctrination I had received. And please understand, that it took a great deal to overcome my indoctrination, and yes I am a bit bitter about it.

Tell me about it: I’ve had nightmares about hellfire up until my mid thirties! Breaking with religion is not easy, no matter how uncomfortable you were sitting in that pew. The indoctrination methodology was refined over centuries to have exactly that effect I supppose. And yes, it leaves one somewhat annoyed thinking back at all the time wasted and the anguish endured in persuit of salvation.

The spectrum of clergy is diverse, and if you could measure such a thing, you may find a gradient starting from those experiencing no contradictions between their faith and their world view (the “dodgy axiom” proposal in the psychohistorian essay), running through a group willing to commit some degree of intellectual dishonesty in a self deceiving fashion, all the way up to atheists-of-the-cloth, who deceive only others. As to the numerical distribution between the extremes, its anyone’s guess. I can’t think of any poll design that will generate truthful data.

Going off thread, but…
Mintaka:
Where are you based? How long have you been riding, and would I have met you before??
Just wondering.
My first bike here was a sporty, then went to a Dyna Super which I modified somewhat.
Have you been to Colesburg??