Donations

I am planning to move the site to a local host, probably Hetzner. This should make it a bit faster to access from SA. It will be more expensive though so I am asking you to help out with some of the hosting costs. I have set up a PayFast account where members will be able to donate towards the hosting of skeptic.za.org. If that does not work or you don’t feel comfortable with online payments for whatever reason, please contact me and we can arrange something else.

Please go to the About page to donate. This is of course voluntary and can be safely ignored. :wink:

I realize that asking for money can be a sticky subject, so feel free to speak your mind below. Any further suggestions would also be more that welcome.

TBH, I have no idea what local hosting would cost per month. Maybe if you could give us some idea, it would help. I would also suggest some mechanism for a monthly voluntary subscription, even if directly to your bank a/c or a “Skeptics” one. A once-off donation model won’t lead to sustainability.

The Basic or Standard package on the page linked above would be sufficient. That’s about R100-150 p/m depending on bandwidth usage. Currently Adsense takes care of about half of that.

I would also suggest some mechanism for a monthly voluntary subscription, even if directly to your bank a/c or a “Skeptics” one. A once-off donation model won’t lead to sustainability.
If some members want to do that, I can look into it. But a monthly subscription is probably overkill. The occasional yearly donation would be fine :wink:

The trouble will be to remember this every year, though. There may also be some tax and/or legal implications because, unless I’m mistaken, SA Skeptics is not a registered charity.

'Luthon64

That’s easy enough, the occasional reminder will do. I don’t mind taking care of the costs when donations are low - I have been for quite some time anyway. But since this is a community board, I thought it would be a good idea if some members get to contribute a bit more if they feel the need to. As requirements grow (and they have been steadily over the years) this was inevitable anyway.

There may also be some tax and/or legal implications because, unless I’m mistaken, SA Skeptics is not a registered charity.
We can always register it as such - I have no experience with this though. Anyone know what is involved? Any special requirements?

I can’t promise anything but I’ll try to find out what the operating parameters are. For example, the donations may be a non-issue if they are below a certain threshold, as seems likely. I’ll report back once I know more. In the meantime, if anyone else knows anything useful in this context, they should add it.

'Luthon64

The requirements for registering a charity organization that is entitled to collect donations from the public is quite strict. You would need a board of trustees (minimum of six if I recall correctly), a constitution etc. A nonprofit (Section 21) company is also complex. I think we are going a bit overboard here. If the amounts involved are in the order of R150 a month, SARS would probably not be interested. If they enquire, you could allways prove that the income was used to defray expenses. In the meantime I would let sleeping dogs lie.

Have you considered merchandising? An online store where T-shirts, mugs, cheesy executive toys branded with the sceptics logo and pithy sceptical quotes can be purchased. Apart from going some way towards covering costs, it would have the added benefit of raising our profile.

[/quote]
Have you considered merchandising? An online store where T-shirts, mugs, cheesy executive toys branded with the sceptics logo and pithy sceptical quotes can be purchased. Apart from going some way towards covering costs, it would have the added benefit of raising our profile.
[/quote]
This is a good idea. Don’t know if it viable but I have been looking all over for a Darwin fish bumper sticker.

I don’t know what I was watching on TV the other day (might have been My Name’s Earl, but it was the first time I had heard of or seen the Darwin Fish. Laughed like hell.

Well, if it does go as far as registering a charity, and if donations are ample enough and it turns out that there will be an annual excess, how about (even partly) sponsoring a promising but needy science student?

We could call it the South African Skeptics Science Award, or similar.

Mintaka

Hey guys. I got some cool merchandise from the Freedom From Religion Foundation (Dan Barker sent me a pack). Check out their online store, I think it works well for them: http://www.ffrf.org/ I don’t think we can buy from them here in SA but the idea works as a fund-raising tool.

We could sell bumper stickers that say “Real men serve no gods” in answer to that UNbeLIEVably annoying “Real men follow Jesus” one.

I want the T-shirt that says “Friendly Neighborhood Atheist” and would buy it online if our site had a shop. I think it is a BRILLIANT idea.

I can’t believe I missed this post, sorry BluEGrAY.

I am willing to donate, but I also like the idea of an online shop to buy some atheist merchandise. I’ve been toying with the idea of making my own T Shirts for a while now, but haven’t found a supplier who makes good quality T Shirts here. If anyone knows where I can get some good quality shirts wholesale, that would be great. :wink:
I have someone who can help me with designs and the printing.

I’d also like to get hold of some Darwin fish too.

You can try Peters T-Shirts, tel. 011-493-8015. They’re on the corner of Eloff St Ext. and Webber St, Selby. You need to drive up a ramp next to the furniture store on Webber - they’re on the second floor.

Thanks Hermes, I’m seeing them tomorrow. ;D