E Toll

I’ve seen one or two of these hinged plates on superbikes. Once the rider exceeds a certain speed, the plate flips up due to aerodynamics.

Nowadays Mr Bond could dispense with the Toblerone number plates in favour of a flat screen liquid crystal plate. But still, a mechanical solution to the problem somehow remains visually more effective and memorable. :slight_smile:

Rigil

I like the missile launchers, take the whole gantry down.

I can picture a government bean counter trying to figure out at which point upside down cameras will become economically feasible!

LOL!

An upside-down number plate is a dead simple thing for which to cater without requiring major changes to the hardware or software of the system. The point is that it’s something they are very unlikely to have anticipated.

'Luthon64

Of course, when all else fails. Next we’ll be hearing all about how they’re doing it for the children.

Then again, we also have an “if all else fails”.

Yes, dead simple. But you don’t work for them. I hope!

Nope, against them. Gleefully. >:D

'Luthon64

Law firm offers pro bono defence to first e-toll offender (subject to certain provisos). Maybe these lawyers have a novel insight into e-toll legislation and want to test it in the Courts.

A more cynical view (and perhaps a more realistic one, given that lawyers are involved) is that they’re trying to attract clientele by milking the hotly contentious issue of e-tolls as a publicity stunt to boost their public profile.

'Luthon64

Lawers would never do such an underhand, self serving thing, would they?

Have you seen the movie?
Why I Won’t Pay for Gauteng’s eTolls

Rigil, thanks for sharing. Besides being a rousing call to civil disobedience, that’s a superb summary of the issues at stake and why this imposition should — no, must! — be resisted.

One minor quibble: I feel they should have added 15 or 20 seconds on why, given an adequate number of protestors, the recommended disobedience will inevitably succeed (basically, because the system absolutely requires that by far the majority, i.e. upward of 90%, of regular users have e-tags, otherwise their whole billing system collapses under its own weight of paper).

ETA: News just in. As if more evidence were necessary that they want people to acquire e-tags (or at least register an account, which allows tolls to be directly debited against a bank account), SANRAL warns untagged road users of hefty bills. Desperation, anyone?

'Luthon64

And the guvvamint baloney continues unchecked. Now it’s the SA Post Office claiming it can handle up to a million e-toll invoices daily because — get this — it already handles around 450,000 traffic-related mail items monthly.

SAPO’s logic is clearly flawless…

One commenter suggests returning e-toll bills to sender. Others suggest requesting proof from ETC that you did in fact use the highway at the times and places they claim. I like both ideas. They’ll add usefully to the chaos that is surely on its way.

'Luthon64

With significant noncompliance the system will inevitably collapse completely and utterly. The only question is whether they will manage to sway enough of the public with their threats, and possibly by harshly making an example of a few hapless early victims.

Another view:

http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/If-SANRALs-number-place-recognition-systems-are-so-good-then-why-do-we-need-e-tags-20131128

I doubt SANRAL can send out 1m letters a day, thus I doubt this will ever even be a problem for SAPO.

True, but I doubt that SANRAL will succeed. The groundswell of public opposition is too great. I expect that they’ll fail (or at least hope so), based on three main reasons. First, there’s a sense of solidarity on this issue among Gauteng motorists that cuts across many different divides, which is something we’ve never really seen before in SA. Second, the law is by its nature reactive and slow. Third, the media will report any related stories because it’s such a contentious issue, keeping it on the boil in people’s mind thereby curtailing apathy.

No doubt there will be a few martyrs for the cause but as recent labour unrest has demonstrated, it’s not in SAns’ nature to allow themselves to be intimidated into compliance. Plus, there’s ever-increasing discontent over the guvvermint’s habitual accumulation of failed promises. I think the 2014 elections will throw up a few surprises.

'Luthon64

Yup, SANRAL may well manage to achieve what 20 years of the ANC’s naively patriotic nation building propaganda failed to, namely to unite the country into a single (non-toll paying) nation. :slight_smile:

Pity Jesus isn’t around anymore. He handled tax collectors by threatening to lodge with them.

[size=10pt]Luke 19 1 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. 3 He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way. 5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.”

After which he cursed the fig tree for having helped out a tax collector?