Eliminative Materialism Q&A

Hey look, oh no, another one of my threads have ended up in flame wars.
My bad, have fun, bye now.

Sorry, had to pop away for a mo’ and help Mrs. Irreverend fold up some clothes fresh from the dryer.

Not so hasty, matey. Despite the monumental size of your delusions of grandeur you’re not the forum admin.

Here’s a promise, though. Written, nogal. I’ll answer your questions above just as soon as you convincingly address my points to you in this thread. Go for it. Stun me with some substance. No ducking and diving now, see?

Why the fuck must you always repeat things ad nauseum? Any dualistic tendencies you have “discovered” in my words reflect on you and you only. Please move this argument along or open a fourth thread. But stop putting words in my mouth.

Having tentatively agreed for arguments sake on the following:

1. Everything in the universe is reducible to fundamental particles in motion that can be mathematically described.
  2. There is no external influence from an outside agent or something else at the fundamental levels of physics.

Do you agree with the following statements?
3) There are no unconscious goal-directedness or purposive behaviour at the fundamental level of physics.

and

1. The behaviour of fundamental particles is inherently purposeless and meaningless.

and

1. There are no kinds of things other than physical things and by physical I mean anything that has a measurable property.
1) Everything in the universe is reducible to fundamental particles in motion that can be mathematically described.
in principle, yes
2) There is no external influence from an outside agent or something else at the fundamental levels of physics.
agree
3) There are no unconscious goal-directedness or purposive behaviour at the fundamental level of physics.
correct!
4) The behaviour of fundamental particles is inherently purposeless and meaningless.
well done !!!
5) There are no kinds of things other than physical things and by physical I mean anything that has a measurable property.
RIGHT AGAIN!

See? You are learning already. :wink:

Now, please play your long anticipated trump card. The suspense is killing me.

Mintaka

Why “inherently”? I doubt that purposelessness or meaninglessness is heritable.

1. I don’t think “inherent purpose” can be proved to exist. Purpose can only exist in relation to something else. Humans are taught from childhood to ascribe purpose to all kinds of objects, but that only applies in as far as it serves us or something external to itself. It may be for this reason that humans invented gods, because they feel useless if they do not have a purpose.

2. My view on this is to some extent dualist, but not in a spiritual sense. I do believe that thoughts, emotions, dreams etc. can be said to “exist” in the broader context of the word, but not independently from a physical brain. I reject the idea of a “soul” as an entity separate from the body.

Don’t expect a reply from the Dodger-in-Chief. At least not one that is relevant to the thread’s topic.

That doesn’t sound very dualist to me. Would you agree that a sufficiently complex computer program could be equivalent to a “soul” in some sense?

I don’t have an objection to that description. Eugene Marais talks of the “Soul of the Ape” and the “Soul of the White Ant”. This has nothing to do with ghosts, but rather with the very essence of those communities. The “soul” in the case of your computer programme would require hardware in order to exist.

I think you confuse “inherent” with “inherit”.

Mmm, “inherently” does not sound right does it. I think a better word would be intrinsically not?

Anyway, moving along:
Seems we have sort of an agreement with the following five statements:

1. Everything in the universe is reducible to fundamental particles in motion that can be mathematically described.
  2. There is no external influence from an outside agent or something else at the fundamental levels of physics.
  3. There are no unconscious goal-directedness or purposive behaviour or intrinsic directionality at the fundamental level of physics.
  4. The behaviour of fundamental particles is intrinsically purposeless and meaningless.
  5. There are no kinds of things other than physical or material things and by physical/material I mean anything that has a measurable property.

How about the following statements:
6) The primary qualities of matter are related to size, shape, mass, charge, spin and motion.
7) Thoughts are nothing but matter in motion.

When we talk about inherent traits we are generally referring to qualities which are inherited and cannot be changed. If something is inherently purposeless then it cannot by definition serve any purpose, which is impossible.

The term intrinsic denotes a property of the particles themselves. Purpose or purposelessness are not properties ascribable to fundamental particles. You could say:

1. The behaviour of fundamental particles has no intrinsic purpose or meaning.

Spot the linguist - hehe :stuck_out_tongue:
To my knowledge ‘intrinsic’ and ‘inherent’ are synonyms.

in·her·ent (ĭn-hîr'ənt, -hěr'-) adj. Existing as an essential constituent or characteristic; intrinsic.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inherent
in·trin·sic (ĭn-trĭn'zĭk, -sĭk) adj. Of or relating to the essential nature of a thing; inherent.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intrinsic But I do admit that an online dictionary is perhaps not the best source of information...

I don’t mind “inherently” and “intrinsically” being used interchangeably as long as it is not confused with inherit.

Either way you are committing a fallacy of composition by inferring that something is necessarily true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole. A rock is purposeless, but a man holding a rock can be quite purposeful.

There is no fallacy of composition if you take the statement:
4) The behaviour of fundamental particles is intrinsically purposeless and meaningless.
just as it is without adding any straw men.

But how can I just take it as it is? What reason do I have to believe you? What would fundamental particles with purpose and meaning do?

All I’m saying is that fundamental particles show no evidence of purposeful or meaningful behaviour so far, but someone might find some someday, who knows?

Errr, a few problems here:

1. This is the “Eliminative Materialism Q&A”. If you don’t like the proposition, then fine, you do not have to agree with it.
  2. You don’t have to believe me or yourself since neither of us are ultimately responsible for what we say or think from your naturalistic point of view. Why you bother is quite the mystery but entertaining at the same time.
  3. I am not asking what fundamental particles with purpose and meaning do, but whether you think it is an objective feature, an intrinsic property of fundamental particles. One day when you think you are ultimately responsible for your thoughts then perhaps you can give an answer because no-one but yourself will figure out the answer to that.

Anyway, I think number four is perhaps a bit confusing. I think number four can be left out without any harm in order for the thread to proceed. How about these then, do anyone agree with these statements:

3. There are no unconscious goal-directedness or purposive behaviour or intrinsic directionality at the fundamental level of physics.
  4. There are no kinds of things other than physical or material things and by physical/material I mean anything that has a measurable property.
  5. The primary qualities of matter are related to size, shape, mass, charge, spin and motion.
  6. Thoughts are nothing but matter in motion.

If the proposition was anything more than a straw-man based on Plato’s essentialism I might have to.

When you figure out why I bother I am sure it will loose it’s appeal.

I don’t see any evidence for intrinsic properties, all observed properties are the result of some kind of interaction.

I don’t require ultimate responsibility to think.

Some relatively stable arrangements of fundamental particles form atoms and molecules. Some of these molecules do display emergent “goal-directedness or purposive behaviour” by making copies of themselves out of surrounding molecules. Those which are better at making copies spread at the expense of those which are not as good. The rest is history.

Woot? Not even charge, spin, tension, mass, size, shape?

You do need consciousness and yourself though. Something that naturalism posits as illusions. This leads to an intriguing question… why do you take yourself seriously?

"emergent “goal-directedness or purposive behaviour”? Do explain there. It just happens right? No need for you to explain?