Epic Fail...on who'se behalf?

The other day I browsing through the interwebs and I somehow found myself on an atheist dating website. Quite surprised atht there is such a thing (and internally very chuffed) I decidedto test it on a whim. Result: NO MATCHES FOUND. Really? You mean to tell me that there are NO single non-smoking atheists between 30 and 40, with no kids in Johannesburg? Really?

Time I guess to tattoo Spinster on my forehead and to go home to my cats and empty the liquor cabinet :stuck_out_tongue:

Then again, it is an international site and the single atheists in South Africa still need to discover it.

This leads to next thought. Unlike religious groups we donā€™t really have ā€œgatheringsā€ do we? So beside on forums, how do like minded atheists meet?

Thereā€™s Skeptics in the Pub on this forum if youā€™re interested.

You can always use the normal online dating sites and specify that youā€™re non religious and is non-negotiable on being matched with a likeminded male in jhb. I had several dates that way back in my single days.

Skeptics in the pub. Sounds like a good idea.

I actuallly did try the regular dating sites, with disastrous results. I seem to attract all the dodgy types who somehow ignore the non-negotiables. But not overly concerned about being single actually :wink: Friends are much more important and stick around. Just curious about dating site demographics in this country.

Iā€™m bound to be blindsided by an anecdote proving me wrong, but hey I make a hobby of putting my foot in it anywayā€¦

I think going anywhere specifically looking for a good partner is bound to end badly.

To me meeting ā€œPerson Rightā€ is usually accomplished through absolute fluke. You just canā€™t plan that shit. I idly walked into a AD&D session one sunday and by absolute coincidence met Mrs Boogie. I wasnā€™t so keen on the AD&D, I was just visiting, but thatā€™s how a legend got started:
ā€œHey you think YOU are a geek, Boogie met his girl AT D&D!!!ā€

Somehow the general populace think that clubs and bars are places to meet people? Have you SEEN the people who hit on women in clubs?! They scream desperation and creepy-ness. I feel the need to use hand-sanitizer in their general vicinity. And Iā€™m just a guy observing the other male-types in the club. I can image how women must feel with these creeps around obviously ogling them. Ew.

Similarly, I donā€™t think youā€™ll often find worthwhile people on a dating site. IMHO, YMMV.

I too had bad experiences on dating sites. Met some real doozies, then ended up being seduced by the bokkie who moved in down the street. Weā€™ve been together for nearly 13 years nowā€¦very happy.

Hahaha! My dearest darling friend met his now wife at a D&D/gaming stand during O-Week at UCT. He claims the cleavage attracted him :wink: And this now made me realise how much I miss D&Dā€¦

I totally agree, clubs are heinous. Meat markets as far as Iā€™m concerned. Unts unts all the way. The only decent clubs in Jozi closed down or got taken over by emos (or maybe Iā€™m getting old and cranky).

I did meet a few interseting people over a period of 6 months on a dating site, but just as mates.

I just want to meet interested like-minded people. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m here ;D

ended up being seduced by the bokkie who moved in down the street

Does she know you call her bokkie? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ja, well, she introduces me to other people as her ā€˜skrik.ā€™

Edit: Must be careful. She lurks here somtimes. Scallywag? Are you there?

Hahah! Fairā€™s Fair in the world of nicknames.

I only met my S/O because I crashed my bike. Nothing more intimate than riding pillion with a strange guy whose name you dont even know (but hey, I got home). The V-Twin did enhance the attraction though. :wink:

Thatā€™s very cool :slight_smile:

LOLOLOLOLOL! Good vibrations?

Iā€™m not in touch with pop culture. Can someone explain to me what D&D stands for? :slight_smile:

D&D = Dungeons & Dragons, an activity that tends to piss off religious fundies rather strongly, especially Christian ones, and so is a very fine way for irreligious sceptics to spend their free time.

'Luthon64

Drinking & Driving.

Rigil

Ah, I see. I have heard of it (Iā€™m not THAT out of touch with pop culture) but have never played it, nor have I more than a most rudimentary idea of how it works. Thus, bachelor or not, Iā€™d rather not flirt with Gerlinde, but perhaps weā€™ll finally meet thirty years from now at a Bingo game. :slight_smile:

It works? ???

I see your awkard geeks and raise you Vin Diesel.

• I still donā€™t like D&D but Iā€™m now forever linked to it. :wink:

coughcough*

I am currently the proud owner of a 50% share in not one, but two eating establishments. Maybe we could line something up. (Gauteng)