Malema

Does look like the government’s policy of keeping the population dumb, by destroying the education system, is now backfiring. :slight_smile:

It bites everyone.

The other day a Gr 12 girl tried to recruit me to the EFF. ;D I told her to please go and speak to a Zimbabwean before the election. She of course blamed Zim’s problems on (white) western governments.

Malema and his sheeple strike me as rather naive. They are in any event likely barking up the wrong tree with this land redistribution thing: in my experience, the vast majority of black South Africans do not want land and do not want to farm. They want to move to the city and find a good job and live the urban middle class lifestyle.

I regularly visit the small farm in the Bronkhorstspruit district where I grew up, and that used to be densely populated by farm labourers. Nowadays, there is almost nobody there. Last weekend when I visited the place, I saw not a single black face anywhere - Malema is going to have some trouble convincing his followers to all move to the countryside to create the rural utopia he apparently dreams of. Perhaps he’ll resort to forcing them, a la Pol Pot?

Anyway, even if land reform is a huge success (which it isn’t at the moment) and all white farmers are replaced by hugely successful black ones, that will address the poverty of only a fraction of South Africa’s population. It will have virtually no effect whatever on our current inequalities. The whole issue is almost in its entirety a symbolic one, and will make very little difference to anyone - white farmers will go offer their expertise to neighbouring countries, where they will continue to live the high life and make use of cheap black labour, and the black beneficiaries of land reform, unschooled in farming and abandoned by their government as soon as they move in on their new farms, will continue to live in abject poverty.

You cannot legislate reality out of existence.

“For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”

–Richard Feynman.

A cold, hard fact routinely ignored by politicians and lawmakers. Or maybe they don’t recognise it as a fact. Amidst all the self-important bluster, it’s hard to tell.

Well put, BTW.

'Luthon64

Problem is that the new owners will be the cronies of whoever gives them the land. They will not farm it, the land will lie fallow and the country will have to buy food from somewhere else. Zimbabwe again - from largely self sufficient to on the brink of starvation at times.

Anyone know how Mr Malema got into parliament after all? I thought he had that tax thing hovering over his head that prevented him from becoming a MP. http://www.news24.com/Elections/News/Malema-stands-to-attention-as-hes-sworn-in-20140521

Essentially, by slithering through the “innocent until proven guilty” loophole — IOW, much the same route by which Zoomer made president.

'Luthon64

Personally, I am glad Malema is in parliament. I think the one bog reason why the ANC and the EFF will not easily work together is Malema. Remove him from the picture, and perhaps the ANC and EFF will become far more comfortable bedfellows. Need anyone be reminded that together, the two parties easily have a two third majority? The more bad blood between the two groups, the better. Let Malema sit there and stir up the emotions - he is more useful to us in parliament than in prison. :slight_smile: