Monuments

Alas, I can guarantee you that when the ANC government redresses the balance in public statues, they'll do so by having third rate sculptors cast yet more statues of controversial politicians.
That will end like the street names. Here in Middelburg Fontein street, apart from an Afrikaans word, not political at all, became Samora Machel street. Louis Botha statute replaced by a Robert McBride one? Then we will have the names and monuments changed with every government change. No, wait, the ANC is going to be in charge till Jesus come. Maybe that is not so bad, they might think a bit more about whether the person will stand the test of time.

Thank you Mefiante and Boogiemonster for your thoughs on my question. I hoped to find out if it is reasonable to attach more sentimental or emotional value to one type of “monument” than another, but it seems more complex than the mere aim (intention) of the work, and indeed for the reasons you have kindly pointed out.

Rigil

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/l/t1.0-9/11146593_834460019952721_755388739767854940_n.jpg?oh=b3aee2724cd9074267d5f94ce6819b1a&oe=55E2FC01&hc_location=ufi

The defacement of Statues is a political diversion. Note too that people feel strongly about statues of their so called role models, you can almost say it is a clever tactic designed to divide people instead of having them work together…

I have noticed some anti EFF and ANC posts more then usual on facebook.