Non-religious weddings

Well, maybe they are just perpetuating commonly held ideas. We are exposed to the romantic side of getting hitched very early in our lives. How many bed-time stories didn’t culminate in the hero and his new bride living happily ever after?

Rigil

Congratulations and many happy years together!

This could fit into any of several threads.
Andrew Copson sets the record straight about humanism
'Luthon64

It all gets relativistic really quickly doesn’t it? Yes, what I consider perfectly valid and rational and moral things to do, is indeed what that dude would call “debaucherous”. This is a spot of trouble for our ilk, to get the other side to see our point we need to appear not “scary”, but religion has nicely defined the “scary” to be us. It’s a clever trick, one I almost admire for it’s ingenuity, were it not so entirely contrary to free thought and the truth.

It’s a slippery slope NON-fallacy. The problem being the slope is not nearly as spike-encrusted as the proponents of it would have one believe. How often do you hear this shit?

If we allow these athiests to run amok, next thing they'll want us accepting gays.

It’s an odd sort of argument that builds lies upon truths upon lies. The core premise is that the listener is already biased that some outcome is bad due to a lifetime of beating it into their head. Then you base the argument against atheism on that same shaky ground. Worst part is you can’t exactly DENY it. It’s true! It’s the premise of the outcome being negative that is false.

It’s all circular I tell you, circles everywhere.