random question about being forgiven

Well, God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son.” Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on!” God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?” God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but the next time you see me comin’ you better run.” “Well,” Abe says, “where you want this killin’ done?” God says, “Out on Highway 61.”

Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan, 1965

The son to be sacrificed was Isaac, and the intention behind this “uplifting” story is to demonstrate that Abraham was a truly righteous man because he had so much faith in his god (variously, the power of his delusions) that he was prepared to do as commanded.

Theology is a bottomless source of jokes, as rank and putrid as many of them are.

'Luthon64

can anybody say schizophrenia?

An Ode to my God
There is a God
He is my god
He giveth life
and taketh life away
He createth and destroyeth at will
He cooleth my heated brow
and heateth my shivering body
He refresheth my soul
and leadeth me into temptation
He carries me to countries strange
He is with us every moment of the day and sleepeth not at night
He is solid, He is wraith, He floweth forth
Without Him I am nothing; without Him I despair
Without him I am destoyed; He is within me.
He is H2O.
With apologies to the female gender :smiley:

amen brother

Funny how religion, Christianity in particular, is forever demanding that people sacrifice things they hold dear. I once sold a 1961 Land Rover (that I had built from scrap and in which I won the 1985 SA National LR Championship) because I felt as if I loved it more than God. Pretty screwed up right? I’m reminded of Jephtah (or someone) in the Bible who sacrificed his own beloved virgin daughter to God in order to keep a promise. Quite frankly I would rather face the full wrath of God and an eternity in Hell before I would harm a single hair on one of my children, and would tell God to f*ck Himself if He asked me to sacrifice anybody. Surely this is a better moral lesson than killing our kids or giving up things we love for God. Surely a non-psyco God would never dream of allowing, let alone condoning or requiring, such terrible things.

Sickens me to my stomach.

The human race has always had a beef with some sort of sacrifice. I suspect from the beginning of time. You don’t need a leap of faith to imagine it being continued in christianity.
A big portion of religious people actively await the rapture, and actually think it will happen in their lifetime. So they just sit around, waiting to die to be with their god. And they have been made to believe that giving yourself as a sacrifice will speed up this process.
Religion is all about power and control. Nothing else.

some date 2011 is being pushed for his coming…we should actually create a big welcoming thingey on the internet and keep it in the public eye and when zilch happens laugh our butts off. Of course if he does come down on his chauffeured cloud, we’ll invite him to a SITP ;D

That is actually a great idea.
Too many times in the past has ‘events’ or ‘non events’ like this just been swept under the rug.
They just say, “Uhm! I must have miscalculated. The actual date is 2 months / 6 months / 6 years from now”
We should make a big deal and start pointing and laughing at these people. Even if it is just to expose them for what the truly are. Charlatans out to make a quick buck.