Scottish referendum:

Scotland has voted to stay in the United Kingdom after voters decisively rejected independence.
[url=http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-29270441]bbc.com[/url]

Okay so you probably know that the no vote won.

The really interesting bit for me about this was setting the age limit to sixteen.

This is really an awesome move, this says a lot for promoting equality.

Children are usually the worst off when it comes to discrimination, I mean apart from making a fuss about racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, no one really ever makes a fuss against discrimination against children, when children gets abused it’s called “corporal punishment” but if you just slap a girl on her ass or punch someone you’ll likely end up in the courtroom.

This has caused me to reflect on how I sometimes discriminate against children, the attitude of “oh it’s just a kid” or something, when you talk to kids, whether they are 5,10,13 or 16 years old, they are human and have something called a brain too! I have been guilty of not really listening to young kids when they try to speak up in “an adult conversation” or other times dismissed their opinions and just nod along with what they are saying without really listening to their thoughts and views on a matter.

Sure there are plenty to be said about the stage of development, but even a 5 year old can sometimes come up with cleverer remarks than an old hat can sometimes.