South African Skeptics in the pub

Hey South African Skeptics!

Hey skeptics

The “skeptics in the pub” is a gathering which is growing in popularity in skeptical communities in the UK and USA.

I was thinking of starting a similar get-together for South African skeptics. I’d like to do our first Skeptics in the pub in a few weeks. There is a lekker pub in Randburg called “Tony’s”. It has a great atmosphere with pool tables, dart board and, most importantly, cheap drinks.

Every Monday they do a stand up comedy evening which starts at 20h30. I’d like to propose that we meet on Monday the 10th of November at 18h30. We can get to know each other and anyone who feels like it can stay for the comedy afterwards.

Tony’s is at the Malanshof Shopping centre, Cnr Hans Schoeman & Phillip le Roux, Malanshof, Randburg.

Who’s interested?

That sounds great, count me in. :slight_smile:

I’m writing an exam the next morning (coincidentally it will be less than 1km away from Tony’s) so I don’t think I’ll stay late but I definitely will be there for a couple of hours.

James

Awesome! I think it’ll be great to meet you James, so I know who keeps giving me skeptical smack-downs :slight_smile:

I’ll be keen to get involved once back in SA (next year). One possible area of recruitment is Mensa (I reckon there would be a lot of overlap here). They have SIGs (special interest groups) and perhaps combining this meeting with a sceptic SIG would be a good idea.

Approaching Mensa might be an option but my own experiences with SA’s Mensa chapter have been uniformly less than encouraging, comprising such things as free energy machines, the nutritional woo-woo of a prominent but self-styled SA “expert,” Feng Shui and several other fanciful subjects. While these things can readily be dismissed as “discussion of interesting topics,” it is simply alarming how many Mensans are at least equally prone to woo-woo as the average Jane and Joe. The essential problem, I think, is that Mensans are hard to disabuse of their ill-founded notions because they are on average more able and inventive when deploying quasi-defences of nonsense, and compounding such ability with more-than-occasional “Oh, I’m so very clever” puffery. Members tend to drown out criticism with sheer weight of intellect.

Sadly, the ISPE (formerly “SPE”), which accepts as members only the top 0.1% in terms of cognitive ability as opposed to Mensa’s 2%, is insufficiently represented in SA.

'Luthon64

Hey Angela, you must be psychic and read my mind! We had discussed getting together previously here but nothing was done about it. Just this week I was thinking of continuing the conversation and seeing where it went. Well done. I am doing magic lessons on Mondays for the next couple of weeks, but will try to make a plan to come and meet everyone for a drink! Steve

It would rock if I was actually psychic, I could win the million dollar prize.
Well, I think it’s a good idea for us to meet our fellow sceptical crusaders :slight_smile:

Oh boy. Sounds like I have a little pain coming my way - please be gentle. Actually, I find it odd that you think that I have been dishing-out smack-downs, ??? I by no means have any sceptical authority from which to do so, so I would prefer being called on that than for you to be silently offended. I really think I need to look at the language of my posts more closely - I really don’t want to offend anyone - well, unless you’re an unreasonable believer.

James
(still attending, just bringing my suit of armour in case)

Dang, I’m not in Joburg. Anyone keen to do a Cape Town version?

I’m keen, unfortunately it seems that we aren’t that well represented in the Cape… I’m in Stellenbosch.

Me too, makes it easier.

Not at all James! I’m sorry if my comment came across like that. What I meant is that your Sword of Skepticality is a +4 where mine is only base power. You are a level 14 Skeptic, I am a level 3. Basically - you are much better at this than I am and it will be an honor to learn from you :slight_smile:

I am a level “imaginary number” skeptic.

That’s my Dungeons & Dragons background sneaking in - guess I’m just a massive geek at heart
;D

Thanks for organising the event this past Monday. I thoroughly enjoyed the stimulating conversation. I’ll keep an eye out for the next event.

As you said; as long as there are at least two sceptics it will always be “Sceptics in the pub” ;D

I must say that it really was a bit out of control. I had to leave early but by then you were already ordering the second bottle of tequila, I can’t imagine where it went from there! :wink:

For those who don’t know; Skeptic Detective is having a lot of trouble gaining access to the internet at the moment, so don’t expect her to come rush to her defence any time soon. I’m so naughty :D.

James
First Johannesburg Sceptics in the Pub

Well done James, I am reall sorry to have missed it. No more magic lessons this year, so hopefully will be able to make it to the next one.

Steve

It’s great to hear that you are interested in joining us. We haven’t set a firm date for the next meeting yet (and the venue is up for discussion if it is inconvenient for anyine) but we thought that once a month would be a good start.

See you soon.

James

Sounds like I’m missing out :wink:
Anyone left in Stellenbosch over the next few weeks, give me shout!

James! I thought you weren’t going to tell anyone about the tequila. Oh well, then I might as well mention the body shots you were enjoying off that hot waitress, hey?

Seriously though, it was great to meet you and with any luck we will have more participation next time around.

If anyone is available on the 15th of December I’d like to have Skeptics in the pub 2.0.

Well, I still don’t have my ADSL router back so I have to log off now before I finish the cap on the office 3G card!

See you soon.

I’m a member of the local Mensa. While there’s certainly a woo component among them (even at least one young Earth creationist), there’s also a strong sceptical focus, particularly among the members who participate in the email forum. They do invite woo speakers from time to time, but this is largely for the entertainment value, and less for the intellectual value of the speaker’s content.

There’s currently no Sceptical SIG that I know of, but I’m fairly confident that quite a few Joburg Mensans would be interested in a Sceptics in the Pub event. When the plans firm up for the next one, I’ll gladly send an invitation to the Mensa email forum, and see what transpires.