South African Skeptics in the pub

Wow, the month has flown-by. I’m still definitely keen on attending on Monday. Same pub is absolutely fine with me.

I know many people are away on holiday so I don’t expect a huge turn-out. Show of hands?

Also, looking to the next one, we also have a query from a visiting Sceptic from Durban (who will be here in the first two weeks of January) whether our January meeting will be during that timespan. We can discuss it, a month is a long time. :stuck_out_tongue:

James

Sorry for calling this off so late (and even though one of my favourite things is drinking alone ;)) but SD can’t make it tonight and there doesn’t appear to be enough interest to go ahead with the Jo’burg Sceptics in the Pub tonight.

We will have to plan for January instead because most people will be away for December. Are there interested parties for the 5th of January? Michael Meadon will be up from KZN that week and I might have mentioned that we’d try to have a meeting that week. Michael is the brains behind the drive for more South African Science and Scepticism blogs so join us for a chat about this and all other sceptical goodies on the 5th.

James

Hey there Skeptics!

Yes, it’s me! the SD is finally back online and ready to rock the sceptical community! Or any community for that matter, I just wanna rock!

James, the 5th of Jan is good for me. Where shall we meet?

I’m keen to come, what are the details? (I’m not on Facebook anymore – long story).

Thanks…

Oh yeah. More details …

5 Jan 2008 from 18h30 at Tony’s Bar in Randburg. The shopping centre is called Malanshof shopping centre and it’s at the corner of Hans Strydom street and Philip Le Roux avenue. Pop on to Brabys Maps to get directions (click on the “Directions” title near the top).

James

Hey there, so Monday was a real blast! check out my blog for a few pics.
www.skepticdetective.wordpress.com

Stay tuned for details of the next meeting.

SD

Well done guys, great achievement! I really hope I can make it to the next one!

Can’t believe I am offline for a while and miss getting to meet you guys.
Probably won’t make the next one either as I am going back to the US at the end of the month.
Have one for me…

Well, I guess it is time to start planning for the February installment of Gauteng Sceptics in the Pub. As we have a strong Pretoria contingent I have been advised not to call it “Jo’burg” sceptics anymore (thanks Mike). Furthermore, we will also be holding the meetings a little further north. Midrand was suggested as the gathering point.

I do not know Midrand very well anymore (having moved out of the town about 3 years ago), if you do know of a pleasant meeting place in Midrand, please do suggest it.

I suggest that we hold the get together on the 2nd of February at 18h30 as usual.

Also, don’t forget that February is bring-a-friend month, so please lure an unsuspecting acquaintance with promises of cookies ;D

SD

One possibility is Ogilvy’s. It’s spacious and has a garden but can get quite loud.

It’s located on Tonnetti St, just up from where it T-junctions with De Winnaar, behind The Boulders shopping mall. From both Jhb and Pta, it’s better to take the New Rd off-ramp rather than Allandale Rd, which should be avoided.

'Luthon64

Oh, yes. I have been to Ogilvy’s once. It’s ok if you don’t mind stuffed animals…

Actually, Ogilvy’s was subject to a major overhaul not that long ago. They’ve dumped the rustic, colonial manor house feel in favour of a lively beer garden/sports bar atmosphere.

'Luthon64

Thank goodness!
That does not sound too bad.

Ok, we have a small problem. I’ve gone ahead and posted two different dates for the next SITP, I have used the 2nd and the 9th in two different venues.

I’d like to make it the 2nd (that’s tomorrow!) - is everyone ok with that?

Another month, another meeting coming-up. ;D

2 March 2009 from 18h30-ish.
Ogilvy’s in Midrand (map location - refer to 'Luthon’s earlier post for directions).

There is a facebook event doing the rounds; if you’d like to RSVP on facebook then you’ll have a reminder on your facebook page a few days before the event (it’s worth going to the facebook page just to see the poster Angela selected for the event).

See you there.

James

No, No, not Ogilvy’s!

So is there any interest in another of these? I’d like to meet the people :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m interrested, never been. ;D

I’m glad that there’s new interest in these meetings. Unfortunately the May meeting was accidentally forgotten (that’s what you get for leaving the organisation up to two Star Trek fans in the month of The Movie’s release :P) but we’re right on track for June.

There will be a Facebook event added within the next couple of days, all members of the South African Skeptics group on Facebook will receive the invitation immediately. I will publish the details here too. It is an open meeting, so bring as many friends and guests as you’d like to.

It will probably be Monday the 8th of June from 18h30. The venue is up for discussion, but it depends on where the various Gauteng sceptics will be coming from. If you have any suggestions, let’s hear them. We might only decide where we meet after seeing who responds to the event.

James

Pity one can’t be an anonymous member of a fb group.