Teaching evolution in South African schools

Thanks for that link. Presently, I’m about two-thirds of the way through the book. So far, except for the ridiculously slanted, ill-informed, deconstructionist, whiny postmodern bleatings of Catherine Odora Hoppers (she even describes herself as “a radical witness and a wounded healer”), this collection of perspectives on evolution in the context of school education makes for some very interesting reading. Even Bernard Lategan’s accommodationist take is a model of impeccable rationality compared to Hoppers’s hot-headed hysteria, but what’s truly troubling is that Hoppers holds a professorship at UP’s Faculty of Education.

'Luthon64

Thanks, I will bear that in mind while I’m reading. It is a huge contrast here as I grew up in Wales where I remember learning about evolution since primary school. It is definitely a huge challenge in education here, it astonishes me daily!!

Evolution…Oh man… You get micro-evolution that should in fact be named adaptation and then you get the “theory of evolution”, or macro evolution, where species supposedly evolve-mutate into something different. Many people are confused with the difference between the two. Fact is, adaptation can be seen and is a known fact, but the species stay the same. (dog stays dog / fish stays fish)… I have a huge problem with the “theory” though, if one could even call it that. It is full of lies and made up fallacies that confuse even the more intelligent people. To me it is a dangerous subject to teach children, because it is not based on fact, but mere speculation, covered up by the word “theory”. In America and Europe many people have turned from God because the subject gets them to believe the world came into existence on it’s own and that there was no Creator God. Anyone who takes the time to do some research and anyone who knows what the Bible teaches us should know that this “theory” is evil and very dangerous to our children’s mindset towards God. It is as if someone took the Bible and started reading from Genesis and wrote the exact opposite as in the Bible to formulate this theory…sounds evil to me. Should not be in our schools… :o

Ben might I suggest that you read up on the use of the word theory in the scientific world prior to your making any further posts here. A good book on evolution might also help in your understanding of the subject. Dawkins, Darwin or any of a number of others will help you understand so that any further posts here do not go any further in indicating your ignorance!! I too am a creationist, I do believe that man created god/s.
Your preaching here is not likely to do much more than further the impression of the members as to your lack of rational and independant thought.

'Luthon64

Okay Ben I’m not really sure whether you’re a troll or a POE, but you really point out the issue that frustrates me so! I’m not a evolutionist, naturalist or even more than mildly even interested in biology at all - my atheism has nothing to do with evolution, science or maths - not believing in the easterbunny or that story of a guy that got nailed to a tree has nothing to do with my views on the sciences, I’ll grant you, the theory of and evidence for evolution really makes Thor go running for his closet of gaps, but that whole thing is just silly. Why can kids see that santa aint real and grown-ups still go on to believe in the FSM? I don’t care how exactly life, the universe and everything came to be, I just enjoy the fact that I’m alive in it because my forefathers lived long enough to copulate.

I’m not saying that I know gods are not real, but just that I don’t think the ones proposed are very likely to exist (or to nice:)) untill you can show me evidence of doG’s existance I am sorry, but I just can’t believe it

Ben it is very easy to get lost on the internet and I think maybe Google has deceived you in some way in it bringing you here. I think it may have brought you to a virtual lion’s den where it may seem you may suffer a feat not unlike your Christian fore-bearers in the ancient Roman Empire. While you’re looking up the definition of theory and real meaning of evolution - may I also suggest you direct yourself towards an interpretation and some examples of “critical thinker” which you seem to have labelled yourself as.

I’m unashamedly going to steal this. I have many uses for this statement.

;D

[quote author=ArgumentumAdHominem link=topic=239.msg1498#msg1498 date=1202460368]

Which means that there are only 29 percent of people who read and are educated ... or understand evolution.
Not 29% of [i]people[/i]. 29% of [i]Gareth Cliff's listeners[/i] are people who read and are educated. I'm not surprised...

Sorry Ben with regards the highlighted portion of your text do you mean a threat to religions virus like ability/need to brainwash the next generation to ensure its survival & as such will only be regarded as a threat to your belief system.

Poor Ben: you should read Darwin’s brilliant book first before you make stupid statements like:

It is as if someone took the Bible and started reading from Genesis and wrote the exact opposite as in the Bible to formulate this theory…sounds evil to me.
Incidentally, Darwin was a religious man who through research and painstaking experimentation (together with hundreds of other scientists)eventually questioned creationism and although he was too much of a gentleman to call it evil, certainly put the cat among the pigeons among the establishment. Think on this: If God existed (the Christian one), would he have engineered Darwin’s life to question creationism or did he (god) come to the realization that he needed a new advocate of how things actually happened as he couldn’t hoodwink the scientists and more learned society that was starting to evolve? >:D

He gave him free will! To do exactly as god told him to do, anyway.

Never let the child in you die!

I thought us heathens were wanton abortionists?!

funny man BM! ;D I’m 67 and still have that child in me…my wife says it’s my second childhood…m.a.w. ek’s kinds!