This is why we don't need religion

It’s the same old threadbare story with these religious believers, isn’t it? After confronting them with the idea that what they think they know is, if not harmful or even dangerous, at the very least not necessarily so, they put up a little token resistance at first and then run away when pressed. If they come back at all, they studiously avoid any further challenges, which avoidance suggests that they haven’t bothered to examine the objections to their beliefs in any meaningful way, if at all for any purpose other than to simply reject them out of hand.

If it is because they fear that they may lose something in which they have invested a great deal of time and effort, then they can take it from me (since I have firsthand experience) that you don’t lose a thing. In fact, you gain much: the realisation that this life is the only one you will ever have, so live it well and fully, free of fear. There’s no bully in the sky watching your every move and thought, ever vigilant for a slip that will ensure your eternal torment. Nor do you need a role model (who, I hazard, is out of your mind most of the time anyway) to compare your behaviour to for deciding if you’re okay or not – most of the time, you know from experience what the right thing is to do.

But instead, they carry on pretending that it’s all true and of inestimable value to mankind, regardless of how powerful the objections to it are. This, BTW, is another important reason why we don’t need religion: it breeds intellectual and moral poltroons.

'Luthon64

hehe, got out of the wrong side of the bed today? :wink:

Give people time to process new ideas. From my experience, it took me a while to totally abandon my beliefs that I grew up with. It’s not an easy thing to do. But if you have the courage to question your beliefs and your arguments come up short all the time, you eventually realise that you might be wrong. But that is something you will have to do yourself, and it can’t be forced.

:stuck_out_tongue: Is it that obvious? ;D

As with most people, being ignored in all sorts of ways does not sit well with me.

But we’ll see what happens. I don’t think much of anything, though.

'Luthon64

Bluegray V, it does take time for people to abandon a superstition.We need to ever remember that.And they can find sophisticated answers to our challenges.We find the answers sophisms at heart.We ever need to answer anew their responses.We have to show humility.People can find all sorts of dodges for their beliefs. They can find ones for Biblical contradictions and horrors.They bend logic to do so.They have the shield of faith- the I just say so of credulity.Errantists are not immune from all that.With Bishop John Shelby Spong, they can acknowledge the horrors of the Bible and even advocate a humanist morality but they still cling to faith.It is so tough for us to help them overcome their superstitions!

At the risk of resurrecting a long dead thread, here’s another example in a rapidly growing list that illustrates religion’s superfluity, even its out-and-out harmfulness, to which the committed believer will doubtless respond, “Oh, but my religion is totally different!” The correct, though impolitic, response to that would be, “No, it’s not. A fairytale remains a fairytale, regardless of its narrative’s specifics.”

'Luthon64

Iraqi TV Debate: Is the Earth Flat?

'Luthon64

(Emphasis added.) So once again, religionists declare themselves ready to stall humanity’s progress and even to try to pull people back into darker historical times. It’s just this kind of unabashedly presumptuous meddling that makes these fruitcakes so dangerous. But nooo, they’ll tell you with a straight face that they’re still relevant and that it’s for the good of mankind. Trouble is, too few people are prepared to see through the charades and deceptions these people concoct.

Elsewhere, Angus Buchan’s minions in Graaff-Reinet mean to erect a 24-metre-high cross on a hill overlooking the town. Predictably, the move has elicited little opposition and is being defended as “the will of the townspeople.” How convenient to have democratic principles when you need them.

'Luthon64

This just in: It is not offensive when the majority do it. News at 11.

a huge. HUGE mosque is being built in Midrand. it’s spires can be seen, literally, 10kms away. i wonder if anybody was asked if we wanted to see this for miles around?

What majority? No single religion is a majority over all the rest. That’s yet another thing these nanowits are evidently incapable of grasping.

And quite besides, their gods, one and all, are in any case such blinding beacons of democratic principles. Just look at how well-represented democratic principles are in any given religious hierarchy. These gods are just falling all over themselves, trying to do right by the will of their people…

'Luthon64

Imagine a huge illuminated cross on the hill…

I have forwarded the Graaff-Reinet news report to Johann Rupert at Remgro in Stellenbosch. (Reinet’s head office is in Luxembourg) The family has established ties with Graaff-Reinet and has been involved in the restoration of historical buildings there. They also sponsor a museum there. Let’s hope he comes to the rescue.

Be that as it may, the assumption that it’s “not insensitive” because the majority are just fine with it, is still wrong.

Hmm, I think not.

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/religion-and-philosophy/this-is-why-we-don’t-need-religion/?action=dlattach;attach=549

I wasn’t arguing, and I agree with your point. I was merely drawing attention to the same essential absurdity and the equally laughable appeal to democratic principles.

'Luthon64

How about one on the Campanile, Mefiante?

This is what an article had on the matter. I think it is just ridiculous. I totally agree with the South African Council of Churches (Never thought I would ever say that! :slight_smile: ) - the money would be better spent on social upliftment.

Speaking of erected crosses, when I moved to Cape Town in January I noticed a massive cross that lit up at night on the hill above Platekloof as you drive towards Durbanville. I haven’t noticed it lately, has anyone else? I see that the area on the top is part of the Tygerberg Nature Reserve…

Nope, it wouldn’t fit. The space is already taken by a lightning rod. And security cameras. This says much about how much faith the faithful really have… ::slight_smile:

'Luthon64

Perhaps it’s for the better. I was just getting worried that someone might take my suggestion seriously.

Possible amendments to Pakistan’s blasphemy laws delayed. It is plainly absurd to have blasphemy laws. It’s a victimless crime in all probability, but, if not, of what possible use could such protections be to an all-powerful and all-knowing deity!? Surely s/he’s more than capable of retaliating in kind should the need arise. Or is s/he a majorly oversensitive wimp?

'Luthon64

the case of Asia Bibi, a Christian woman sentenced to death for insulting the Prophet Muhammad

Am I the only one that reads that and then feel this need to walk up to random Muslims, shake them and tell them their prophet is a cunt, Allah is non-existent, and if he isn’t he is a bigger cunt than his prophet and that their religion stinks??

Knowing it won’t accomplish anything, it could theoretically still make me feel a little better about the stupidity of it all…