To judge or not

IMHO: Sure, religion does tend to make people more credulous. My personal experience is that I became more determined to take charge of my destiny when I lost religion and realised I’m not just here to run some hoops for rewards in the great hereafter. I have to make this life count. I guess my experience is the opposite to yours.

I also get the point you’re making, venturing more in this life has less consequences if you believe you get another try later. I doubt an atheist lays his life on the line quite as easily as someone believing they’re fighting for a supernatural cause. I totally buy that.

Once again I’m arguing with myself. :smiley:

This is entirely off topic. Rigel, what the hell is that thing? A motorised unicycle? An electric pizza slicer? Help, I’m losing sleep.

LOL, yes it could cut up a pizza I’m sure! It’s called a derailleur (or jockey), and is found near the rear gear cassette on a bicycle, where it does service in shifting the chain from one cog to the next.

I’ve chosen this avatar after getting into the unfortunate habit of going slightly off topic (or derailing) threads. And also because I’m looking forward to watching Le Tour on the telly. :slight_smile:

And? Are you winning? :wink:

Rigil

Now, if I didn’t know what it was, I would have been too ashamed to admit it.

Methinks you answered your own question and started to explain what a debate is really all about - A debate, by its very nature has never really anything to do with changing your opponents mind, he’ll have his positions and reasons for holding them and you yours, the point always is to “come out the winner” to the people that observe the debate.

The best you can hope for is making your opponent re-consider his positions, but again it’s not the goal. I know you probably do know this and maybe these two cents of mine was dipped in cheese, but it’s what I have.

At least it makes for an entertaining get together and maybe it’s not about winning an argument, but enjoying the beer and catching up.

well put Vulcan: I tend to lose it (and ground) 'coz I get VERY pissed off with stupidity (including mine >:() It usually all starts off well and all parties tread the ground warily: then someone would say something akin to “God speaks to me” or “have you ever heard God’s voice”…me: “what does his/her voice sound like?” etc etc then the fun starts… :smiley: