Usefull app

I’ve came across some useful FREE apps. Anything else worthwhile out there?

AdBlock: To block ads
Grammarly Lite: Spell checker
Dropbox: Cloud based storage
Copy: Cloud based storage
Open Office: Word processor, Spreadsheet and so on.
Stellarium: Planetarium software
Evernote: Notepad and web clippings
Advanced System Care: Spyware and registry fix

There’s tons of free software at SourceForge.net for all sorts of things, also covering different hardware platforms and operating systems.

One very useful utility is an audio editor/workbench called Audacity. It’s better and more powerful than some of the ones you can buy.

'Luthon64

I have to give a shout out to

Gimp
Winmerge
Pixelruler
Colorpic

Which I use almost dailey

Recuva for recovering deleted files
Freemake video downloader

Total Commander: The only thing I use for file management. In comparison windows’ “folder” interface feels retarded.
All in one gestures for Firefox. Once you get used to them, you can’t live without them.

Does TC not come from the days of DOS?

You’re thinking Norton Commander, same style interface.

Can anyone recommend a database that won’t cause too much synaptic strain?

What’s the intended use? It will determine your requirements. That said, I don’t know of any freeware ones.

'Luthon64

Mostly just storing one-column sets of info (contacts and details of properties and stuff). Some filtered reports would be useful. Perhaps Open Office comes with a database - will check.

R

That sounds like a job for a spreadsheet program like Excel as there seems to be little in the way of relational data extraction. It sounds more like you’ll be using filters and possibly pivots to extract data summaries. Not sure what the capabilities in this regard are of the spreadsheet program that comes with Open Office.

Of course, for high data volumes stored in multiple tables that capture different data, a database may be in order, but, as said, your description indicates that such isn’t warranted.

'Luthon64

That video downloader may come in handy. I used to used a site called savevid.com. It worked wonderfully well. Yesterday it suddenly refused to do anything until I had downloaded a browser plugin. I duly downloaded the plugin, but it refused to install properly. or something. Can’t work out what went wrong but that site no longer works. Time for a new downloader then - I am an avid web pirate… :slight_smile:

Edit: Well, the software works. But it also automatically installed something called “Tuneup”, which automatically opens a web page inviting me to buy software. I had to uninstall that; it remains to be seen whether I will now be left in peace to pirate at will.

Stay clear of the OpenOffice database. I can’t remember what it’s called (I’m at work, so can’t look) but it’s pretty dire. SQLite is a lightweight, freeware database; I think it’s a slimmed-down version of MySQL. I prefer PostgreSQL, though, although it’s probably much more than you need.

Access, ducks ;D

It’s impossible to duck low enough to escape the opprobrium that will attach to you if you persuade some poor soul to use that pile of steaming, maggot-infested crap.

Some might say that you won’t need to duck because you’re wa-a-a-a-ay low enough already just for suggesting it… :wink:

'Luthon64

I need to edit a movie. What do I use? Preferably free of course. Ms Movie Maker is on my computer but crash every time I try to use it. I downloaded ImToo but it can only convert to a different player. Maybe I’ve got the wrong model? Help please :stuck_out_tongue:

I like VirtualDub.

PiTiVi

Could be a nice alternative to ABBA while driving! http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/