Usefull app

Being roasted alive could be a nice alternative to ABBA whilst driving. I haven’t tried that site, but I’ve downloaded a few books from librivox. The problem with them is that they use volunteer readers, some of whom are excellent and some are woeful. An Italian woman ruined David Copperfield by reading it in a heavily accented monotone (the reason why would a woman volunteer to read a male first-person narrative escapes me), and some foolish American made a horrendous hash of P.G. Wodehouse. I’ll try this site, though. Thanks.

LOL ;D

Stones, I’ve downloaded a few, and so far they ALL started with the Librivox “foreword”. So maybe this site somehow links to the other.

I wonder how long it will take for automated readers to compete with their (even quite average) human counterparts. I think this will have to await artificial intelligence since reading a story out load requires understanding of what’s being read.

Rigil

I downloaded Freemake some time ago, and for a while there it worked wonderfully well. It has now stopped working: whatever I try to download, I get a message that says “Error: No downloadable video at this URL.”

So I tried to use the online downloader at www.savevid.com, and there I get a message that says “Loading, please wait.” And then you wait 'till Jesus comes again.

Now I wonder whether YouTube has built no security measures into their site so you can’t download anymore, or what? Does anyone know? How can I download stuff from YouTube?

I use the Download Helper plugin for firefox. Occasionally I’ll find a video it doesn’t download, but it’s rare.

I use Downtube, if you have windows 8 installed, you should be able to find it in the app store. The nice thing about it is that you can download either in HD or low quality or even download it as a mp3

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/downtube/0c7c19cd-bf22-492f-96eb-483a900e9052

It also works with almost any youtube video, but not all are downloadable, just try and download any VEVO music video and see how far that’ll get you! I do believe some youtube channels/videos have these security measures in place you’re on about

Not sure if this is the article I read last year, but I’ve heard something about youtube allowing their youtube apps on cell phones to download so you can watch offline, anyway read this Guardian article they’ve got a whole story on it.

I asked the people at Freemake what’s going on, and rather amazingly for a free service, they promptly responded and suggested I just download the latest version. And lo and behold, now it works again.

I have a cap on my internet data, so I can’t simply go watch things on YouTube. I have to stick to things I want to see/listen again, and then download it. I find YouTube a useful alternative to buying expensive CDs. Or rather, I would not mind buying CDs, but the kind of music I like is usually not really available in any CD shops around here.

Speaking of free music, here’s a nice site:

http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=1

It features free recordings of classical piano music, all recorded by volunteers, but all at professional quality. Of course, it is only of use to you if you happen to like classical piano music. :slight_smile:

Good to know. I will do the same, then, to be on the safe side.

R.

Or youtube-dl on linux…

How can I stop Windows 8 from changing to “Tiles” or from Tiles to Desktop. This happens when I work on the Desktop or Tiles but have something open in the background in the other mode. When I slide my cursor to the right, without clicking, it would change. A very annoying feature of 8. I switched off “tapping” on the touch pad.

Ughh exacltly the sorts of reasons I changed to Linux, utterly detest windows 8, but I do have it in dualboot, so if somethings just can’t be done on linux the windows safety net is still there, but really I don’t bother with windows anymore

Success at last! And with a webcam nogal! :smiley:

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/off-topic/usefull-app/?action=dlattach;attach=1176;image

Well done. ;D

Cheers, but all credit to Katanshi Barcode Reader. Oh, and yourself of course for noting that it should be do-able in principle.:slight_smile: This setup is workable till my proper scanner arrives.