Useless information chat thread

Just saw a Jewish guy dressed in full black corporate gear but he adorned it with tassles and a Yarmulke, janked me to a standstill, weird… turns out he’s orthodox and I should take the time to count the knots and amount of tassles which would then tell me how orthodox he really is. :stuck_out_tongue:

Neither, really. I just enjoy the drama and processes of rustic baking, and get a kick out of people discovering the end product. My friend insists on reimbursing my costs, plus maybe the price of a bakkieload of firewood.

But at the end of the day I guess its like most hobbies … a bottomless, unrecoverable pit of expense punctuated by a few moments of joy. ::slight_smile:

Rigil

Ever thought of turning it into a business artisan breads are becoming popular these days.

Goodness yes, we’ve got a “hobby room” or rather my S/O calls it his “Mancave”, its been insured as a specified item (the contents of the room), at R50k because of the myriad of stuff that fills it. Our interests flits randomly from the one new thing to the next. We’ve got shelves full of Warhammer figurines, bits and bobs of old toys being converted to scenery, computer spares, stuff for the guitars, books, woodworking tools, old motors from toys, waterpistols (not sure why we’re collecting those, but nevermind), we can melt stuff, mould stuff, fix stuff and break it in equal measure depending on the mood and the intention. And ALL of it is simply for the pure joy of it and will never recover the cost of having it in the first place.

My domestic refuses to enter the room as she gets shouted at if she dares to move something, so its rather dusty as well…

Awesome. It’s not just me. My life is an endless sequence of:

“Ack! I’m going to have to move this partial RC airplane assembly so I can start work on the 3D printer! Hmm, maybe I should fix that broken bike engine first… choices choices…”

I’m like that too, but I try very hard to finish one thing at a time, it can take months thou. The hardest is to not loose interest in between things.

I’ve been thinking and thunk that it’s so difficult to find useless information that applies to me but that sounds so arrogant so the best I can do is to say that I akshuelly watch Ellen de Generis 'coz my wife like it: I hate the screaming audience and often switch to another even more rubbish channel! …and then last nite I watched RAMBO 111 Jisses he kicked arse only problem is I’ve seen it before and knew the dialogue.

Consider small talk, its generally all useless but we’re forced to do it all the time… because we’re polite and our mother’s tried very hard to bring us up to be respectful and decent individuals.

Do you REALLY watch Ellen??? :-[

Anyone got any tips for a green pool?

And no, “throw a few koi in” is not the advice I seek!

Buy a packet of shock treatment. Throw it into the wier [edit–open it and throw the contents in, not the whole bag]. Filter for a few hours. Measure Ph. of the water with the test strips you bought at the same time as the shock treatment. If you didn’t buy any, then do so now. If the Ph is not correct, then throw in some of the alkalinity up or acidity up that you bought at the same time as the test strips. If you didn’t buy any, then do so now. Filter for some more hours. Wait for the free chlorine to subside to acceptable levels. Swim.

Shock dose with chlorine Usually 3/4 times normal dose; wait a while until the dead algae lie on the bottom (greyish) then vacuum until clear. Then adjust Ph. and filter fliter filter.

Well of course not: khoi should always be lowered in gently. :wink:

Can you see the state of the bottom? When vacuuming you must set your filter to bypass and sommer dump the dirty water directly into your vegetable patch. A sand filter will battle coping with a huge load of dead algae.

Thats what the S/O did… :confused:

Anyways, I note your restaurant got some good reviews on Hello Peter.

I’ve always been partial to that boneless chicken dish you offer.

WTF is a boneless chicken?! Does it work for the circus?

Alas, we can no longer get them. Supply became erratic so we had to take them off the menu.
Exactly as the name suggests, a complete chicken with the bones mysteriously removed, probably via a vacuum process. Was very popular and one of my personal favourites as I hate picking up food & the resultant sticky greasy fingers!

Not unless you consider Mutton’s place to be one? Its bloody nice though.

Pity its no longer on the menu though. >:(

The problem with the pool arose as a result of the hail!

Hail broke the solar heating panels on the roof. So, we had to turn off the filter cycle as water was simply being pumped up on to the roof only to come tumbling down the gutters!

Have now sorted out the bypass valve which was faulty, so can start filtering again…although the solar panel repair is still a victim of the huge pressure that the insurers and contractors are experiencing.

Mind boggling. The only boneless chicken I’m familiar with comes in the shape of a patty.

Rigil

I don’t know where the boneless chicken comes from but Mutton FYI we debone Turkeys/ducks and chicken and create the Turducken…big seller over Xmas!

The nature and severity of the pool’s greenness will determine what’s needed.

If you have severe algae growth on the bottom and sides of the pool, you’ll have to: vigorously brush sides & bottom → drain pool completely → acid wash inside with further brushing where necessary → rinse thoroughly & drain → refill → get pool chemistry right → vow never, ever to let the pool get into such bad shape again.

If the water is deep dark pea soup green with little algae growth on the bottom and sides of the pool, you’ll have to brush a little and follow stones’ & others’ advice re shock treatment. More severe cases may need treatment with a powerful algaecide, followed by a flocculant and vacuuming the sediment to waste (don’t filter it!) before topping up with fresh water.

If it’s only the water and it’s a pale-to-middle green, a cup or two of ordinary chlorine plus running the filter pump a few extra hours for a day or two should do it.

'Luthon64