Why do people like conspiracies?

Well, it’s clear that his belief is unshakable. Good luck. :slight_smile:

One does wonder this: who exactly WERE flying those planes then? Where in America did they get people with enough backbone to go on a suicide mission, not even for any principles, but just to make someone else rich?

Well. If Muslims are willing to do it for 72 virgins, perhaps Americans will do it for 72 extra large pizzas. :slight_smile:

A few seconds before impact, the pilots were teleported off the planes by some Men in Black. The government has had alien teleportation tech for yonks now, ever since Jesus’ resurrection at Roswell at least, and so it all fits together, see?

The pilots are now living the quintessential life of Riley in the Bermuda Triangle, albeit under a heavy blanket of secrecy and security (which mysteriously disappears every so often for a short while, and that’s how we know about it). Meanwhile, their families were told that they died in the bedlam of 9/11 and that their bodies were disfigured beyond recognition. The families also all received a handsome insurance payout channelled through an impenetrable web of underwriters but ultimately funded by a small elite of Vatican-aligned Wall Street bigwigs.

This separation and concealment from their families was the price the pilots had pay for the privilege of deliberately doing away with upwards of 3,000 of their fellow citizens. The in-depth psychological testing that had to be done in order to identify suitably psychopathic airline pilots was performed under the guise of a new safety programme, which is why it wasn’t widely reported.

Any other loopholes are purely cases of misperception and the result of underestimating the capabilities of the inner circle that planned it all.

Next question, please.

'Luthon64

Ironically, this particular sceptic does not seem to recognise the greatest conspiracy of all time (the centuries long type referred to) – religion.

Is religion a conspiracy?

My understanding of a conspiracy is a centrally controlled secret agenda to pursue specific goals through deceit. I fail to see how that could apply to “religion” collectively. A multitude of diverse religious beliefs originated independently in various parts of the world. These may range from pure superstitions to belief systems where deities are worshipped. The fact that there are, and have been, such a diversity of religions, proves that there is no central conspiracy. This is reinforced by the prevalence of religious rivalry and wars.

One may then proceed to ask whether individual religions are conspiracies. Again, it is hard to imagine (say) all Christian or Islamic groupings secretly conspiring while fighting in the open. Co-operation among religious groups occur, but there is no evidence to believe in the existence of a clandestine control.

That brings us to the level of individual churches. On this level we do find a varying degree of clandestine activity, depending on the church in question, especially when it comes to finances and yielding power. Certain activities within individual churches may indeed be regarded as conspiratorial. Even so, I would not claim that the belief systems propagated by such churches are fundamentally conspiracies. This would imply that the leaders of such churches don’t in fact believe what their churches preach, yet condone the message in order to pursue an ulterior agenda. Such a claim would be extraordinary and therefore require extraordinary proof to attain credibility. That proof is largely lacking.

Religion can be abusive in many ways. It can distort morals, extort money, exert power and act selfishly. It can accommodate conspiracies, but to claim that religion itself “is a conspiracy” would be misguided.

Agreed Hermes. The approach most conspirators seem to use is to suspect some Big Brother is behind it all. This reflects a paranoia that ranges from the silly to the radical activities of mass murderers(a la the guy in Norway…forget his name!) I don’t need to tell you what religion is all about, but I don’t see it either as a conspiracy but rather a indictment against man’s (sic) incapacity to separate BS from reality.

Yes, though that would be “conspiracists” rather than “conspirators”. Wikipedia describes “conspiracism” as a

world view that places conspiracy theories centrally in the unfolding of history,
so apparently a conspiracist isn’t just any conspiracy theorist; you have to believe in a really BIG motherfucker Brother to qualify.

On the psychology behind the persistence of misinformation. The principles outlined apply equally to all forms of false belief, be they conspiracies, religious or woo-woo science/medicine. Towards the end of the article, five points on how best to combat false beliefs are given.

The full report can be downloaded here (PDF, 450 kB).

'Luthon64

I take in a computer to a techie: we get talking on moon landings: “Ah but that’s if you believe they actually landed on the moon” he says. “…and why do you think they didn’t?” I ask. “Well,” he says, smirking knowingly. “On earth we are held together by gravity and air pressure. Now in space these forces don’t apply. Therefore a space craft with a thin metal skin would simply disintegrate in space.” “Jeez”, I reply, “you mean NASA never thought of this challenge?”. “It’s all bullshit”, he says, “media-hype…” (wtf!!)

I am sorry to hear about this. Must be hard for you.
But atleast he didn’t believe that it was the end of the world?

Out of my own experience there is just nothing you can do if the person doesn’t want to believe you.
Don’t give up hope - atleast then you know you did your best.