Why kill our pets????

Ja well. That’s the rationale behind the government’s commitment to open source a few years ago–more jobs, skills development and so on. What has really happened? Every major state software project has been decidedly closed source, relying on proprietary solutions (e-natis for example is a purely Microsoft project on both client and server side; some government department’s websites aren’t even viewable on anything apart from Microsoft IE.)

It’s a case of talking the talk versus walking the walk. I would not (heaven forbid!) suggest that anyone is being paid backhanders for choosing proprietary solutions over open source because that would be a ludicrous suggestion and would imply that at least some of our public servants are amenable to corruption, which in light of their spotless record so far would be an extraordinary claim and would therefore require extraordinary evidence. So I’ll just leave it as an unsubstantiated allegation.

OK, I see that I’ve got a bit off-topic here so I’ll terminate my rant and let those who wish to continue the discussion of pet or guard dog vulnerability to miscreants reclaim the floor.

Apropos, does anyone on the forum have geese? I’ve heard that once established they are just as territorial as dogs and set up a heck of a racket when their (your) territory is invaded and they are immune to thrown poisoned steaks on account of being vegetarian. Have those as your perimeter defense and dogs for indoors, perhaps in increasing order of size and toothiness as successive circles of security are breached. Outside your bedroom you could have one of those triple-headed numbers like the one that guarded the Philosopher’s Stone in the Harry Potter book. (Snookums? Fluffy?)

Apartheid legislation was inspired by the Bible verses relating to the Israelites getting their Promised Land and being instructed by God not to mix with the locals in order to keep their religion and bloodline pure. DF Malan, one of the main guys putting Separate Development into SA law, had a PhD in Divinity and had previously been a Dominie with the NGK. These people believed that SA was their Promised Land and that each racial group should have its own land and keep its own culture intact, thus allowing each group to develop and maintain its own religion and bloodline. This was all inspired by the Bible.

I recall reading somewhere that the 1948 South African cabinet (just after the National Party won the elections) was the most highly qualified ever. They had PhDs galore and not a single one of them lacked an advanced degree of some sort.

Just goes to show, hey.

Hmf yeah I can see they took notice of that ::slight_smile: …darn Hypocrites, where did/do they think Colourds
Came from? Did gawd create them from dust behind the “kraal muur” where they in fact obeyed
Orders as per bible

(Numbers 31:7-18 NLT) ........ Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves. (Clearly Moses and God approves of rape of virgins.) (Deuteronomy 20:10-14) ......... But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you. http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm
BTW I wish I know what their explanation was then and still is, on how black people got down here in SA even before it was [i]“discovered”[/i].... Did they miss the arc thingy? ::)

Good point, but I think the Coloureds came around LONG before Apartheid legislation was put in place. They may have been one of the reasons for the law - horny shits.

I always thought that if they had made mixed marriages compulsory instead of banning them the whole apartheid thing would have gone away by itself, and we wouldn’t be wrestling with BEE and AA now, either.

It could have worked like the army callup: report to such-and-such magistrates court on this date where you marry Thandi Molefe and the Minister of Home Affairs wishes you every happiness in your new life together, thank you very much. Next!

True what Mefi said, with slavery, apartheid came with Jan van Riebeeck and his peeps, so even though Apartheid wasn’t legislation then, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t applicable. So Colourds, they came along and the “Omies” in churches just pulled up their shoulders, suited them just fine because their wife’s wasn’t allowed questioning them or their athority! Cause as the Head of the family he pretty much done whateva he felt like!

I’ve also heard they make very good “watch dogs”! Only thing is my yapper is going to take them out she can’t resist those flapping wings, the pigeons around the house already have to watch their landing strip ;D