Zenophobia and thuggery

White South Africans are the new 19th century European Jews: an increasingly unpopular minority with some quite openly discriminatory laws against them. That is partly why they have rapidly gotten themselves into pretty much the same position: richer and better educated than ever before. And unlike what happened in the 1930s and 1940s in Europe, I don’t think we need to worry about death camps, the “Night of the Long Knives” or any of that crap.

This is why I don’t complain or worry too much about BEE, affirmative action, suggestions that we pay heavier taxes or a once-off compensatory fine or whatever. All of that has achieved precisely the opposite of what was intended: whites became ever stronger, and the supposed beneficiaries of such laws became ever more decadent and plain useless.

Sooner or later, all South Africans of whatever race or creed will have to accept the reality that you have to work in order to live, and that wealth is not something a few evil, reactionary whites are hiding in a pot under their beds where it can conveniently be nationalized and redistributed but that it consists of the flow of money and energy and resources through the system, and that the only way to share in it is to bloody well WORK in that system.

Hence Mr. Malema and company are most welcome to try out whatever measures they like: confiscate farms, destroy statues, change the names of streets and towns, introduce new discriminatory legislation… thus far, all such measures have achieved nothing more than to make things even worse for their own supporters, and to create ever more new opportunities for anyone with any hint of education and work ethic. Such people include South Africans of all races, and also immigrants.

It should be noted, mind you, that AA laws are not as all-pervasive as the right wingers may like to believe. Over the past two decades I have worked with many black colleagues, and as far as I could gather, not a one of them got their job through affirmative action. I suspect that it is nowadays easier for a white person to get a relatively well paid job than to become a waiter at Wimpy (when last have you seen a white waiter in a Wimpy?) or a petrol attendant.

Thanks to our public school system, companies face a bit of an AA conundrum: they have quotas to fill but no qualified black personnel with which to fill the high level jobs, so they make up the difference at the lower levels. And thus, AA helps to ensure that the poorer part of the population will remain poor. Until such time as they realize that they will have no choice but to work themselves up the ladder.