A storm in a Hot-cross bun...

So Woollies decided to bake a bun with only one line on top to Muslim standards, basically a spice bun, as they omitted the “hot cross” from the packaging as well.

One Christian wrote on Woolworths Facebook wall: “Ja, its sad to hear the woolies we supported all these years turned their backs on Christians.

“Really disappointed. Lucky we received that email, man its spreading like a wild fire. Proud to say a few people I know are boycotting W, including me [sic].”

Another wrote: “I hate woolworths… How can you do that to the Christians, I hope that God will have mercy on you. And dnt be surprised if your shops run bankrupt… I will pray to my living God and you will see what he is capable of!”

Weird…

Facedesk

Why, those toffee-nosed desecrators! Now we’re going to boycott them for not supplying hot spaghetti buns. That’ll teach them, the miserable bounders!

'Luthon64

Seeing as they are going to keep on producing the traditional hot cross buns as well, I don’t see what the fuss is about.

reminds me a bit of the ongoing battles about the names of towns here: the obvious solution is to simply adopt double names, as is already the case in some parts of Europe. Somehow nobody thinks of that: everyone wants his, and only his, name to be officially recognised.

What a joke! Serious headdesking going on here…
I heard that there were complaints from the Muslim community about the word “Easter” on easter egg packaging. I wish Woolies would get some balls and tell this lot to go fcuk themselves.

It seems interesting how Woolies seems to have a target painted on it’s ass about this shit.

Not too long ago everyone got all upset about what religious magazines woolies stocks, the muslim thing, now the epically trivial matter of which religion is allowed to eat which fucking bun. Are you kidding me? Some other dude eats a bun and it infringes on your religious freedom how? It’s not like Luke or Matthew wrote about the tasty hot-cross buns they were eating at the last supper, this is so far besides the point it staggers.

I almost feel like taking it upon myself to create the “Atheist Good Eating Council of South Africa” and demand manufacturers stamp their products as “free of religious blessings of any kind” with the official AGECSA stamp of approval (which might resemble a 5-pointed upside down star, just saying). We will, of course, charge them for the pleasure. We’ll license eating joints too, to qualify a copy of a full liquor license will be required, as will some emtpy bacon wrapping to prove their devotion to our cause. We will then demand that woolies stocks “upside-down-cross buns” and threaten to boycott them otherwise. In any event, we’ll make large threatening gestures in the press and act all affronted by any store that stocks “CUM” books.

I wonder how many xtians knows that KFC, Nandos and McD’s are all Halaal certified… and quite a few Wimpy outlets as well. Wouldnt that have them choke on a spicy wing and bring a tear to their eye… >:D

Look upon it as a desperate attempt by the fervently religious to cling to and to prop up by any means what little respectability their ideas have left. See it in the context of the exceptionally long line of other such desperate attempts, special pleadings and continual demands for exclusive privileges made by the religious. Appreciate that without such tactics their nonsense would simply disappear through neglect. Understand that it’s just one more aspect of the ritualistic approach the fanatically religious have convinced themselves they cannot do without. Then ridicule it, which is the only sensible reaction.

'Luthon64

Brilliant!!

This whole story is hilarious - I checked the date in case it came out today and was an April Fool! I wonder how many Christians actually buy them for their “religious significance” or just cos they taste nice with jam??

This for real? If you have to go Halaal is not the way. At least in the normal way it is quick. So if you order a Halaal Mac is it a different Mac than normal or are all Mac meat prepared this way? I will boycott them if that is the case.I aready boycott KFC because they cut down a historic oak tree to make way for a new outlet in Middelburg. OK maybe I don’t like KFC.

Since being in SA one thing I’ve noticed is pretty much every eating establishment whether multi-national like McD’s or small and local has a halaal certificate. Meat etc is laballed individually or packed in specific places in supermarkets same as kosher. Although there’s been some recent mix ups… There was recent upset over this in the UK when non-muslims started complaining about halaal foods without the non- halaal being available.

There was confusion over what the main complaint was though, whether it was the “ethical slaughter” of animals or whether it was an opposition to one religion dominating and the lack of choice… I know there was a thread on this before on here.

Back to the hot cross bun though, since there’s no slaughter involved, I guess it’s just the label that’s bothering them- I actually don’t see how hot cross buns could be non- halaal… it seems Woolworths have now succumbed to the pressure… Christians and the hot cross bun | News24

So basically its all about a sticker - pathetic, it’s like sticking crosses on packs of halaal meat

So basically its all about a sticker - pathetic, it's like sticking crosses on packs of halaal meat

Or say, sticking a christian sticker on a pagan bun. ::slight_smile:

Well, pagan girls have hot buns - you can’t blame dem Christians for wanting to stick things onto them (mind you, in the case of the Catholics, it’s the pagan boy buns they are interested in)… :slight_smile:

This is what happens when people are not allowed to just drink a glass of bells and relax :slight_smile:

Next time you walk into an eatery (any restaurant for that matter), stop a moment and inspect all the various stickers stuck on the door/windows, you’ll be amazed at what you put in your mouth and how you can pay for it… I would assume that all the meat in these establishments are halaal as you cannot prepare non-halaal alongside halaal foods, its a big no-no.