Assholery and unsolicited advice

My s/o’s mum has been diagnosed with leukemia. she has had chemo last week.
now, obviously, everyone is stressing. me included. so i relate to my boss, who send me a plethora of docs to read. i thought, sweet.
just a smattering of the random bullshite:

Recent research in Japan and Australia has revealed that advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully. Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder for one month three times a day.
The following table was published in the journal Clinical Oncology in December 2004. The results of this study were astonishing, showing that chemotherapy has an average 5-year survival success rate of just over 2 percent for ALL cancers!
yes, that's exactly what stressing loved ones want to hear. it goes on and on with random shit. seriously? you want to hear good news, not that the medicine that will save her life, is complete crap. and yet, they dont offer a better, proven alternative. people are such assholes.

Its going to get worse, sorry for that, but when my mom was diagnosed late 2009, I was flooded (still get mails from well-intentioned idiots) with advice. If my poor mother had to follow all that, she’d have been living off lemons and honey only. I physically chucked some of my woo-beneukde family off the property because they were pitching up in their droves with homeopathic rubbish.

Don’t be hasty in your decision for chemo before you check out the stats. Many drs have been thrown in prison for advocating natural cures because it undermines the profits made by the pharma companies and of course the oncologists. i personally know a woman who survived pancreatic cancer because she did a 40 day fast on red grapes - the resveratol (in the skin) and vit B17 in the pips did the trick… but don’t ever take advice from peeps on websites… research everything thoroughly yourself and rid yourself of preconceived ideas or you’ll never be open to anything…

Really? Doctors actually got jailed for advocating natural cures because the big pharmaceutical companies felt threatened!? Do you have proof for any of this, including that the cures were (1) natural, (2) actually cures (i.e. effective), (3) threatened any pharmaceutical companies, and (4) that these doctors were jailed at the behest of those pharmaceutical companies?

Or should we simply skip that bit and move your post straight to the “Fun” section of the forum?

Well, that compelling anecdote finally, completely and definitively settles the whole cancer question, now doesn’t it just?

Yes, that’s brilliant advice, but for it to be an effective strategy, it does require that one has a sufficient ability to distinguish reliable from contrived sources of information.

'Luthon64

The only sensible thing in that post.

I think there might be some truth here but the reason for going to prison would be they caused the death of patients when the correct medical treatment would have saved them.

Can you provide some more prove for this claim.

so the viking’s mum passed on sunday night. the chemo depleted her platelets to nothing, and they couldnt find suitable platelets in time, so she heamoraged on the brain. was over pretty quickly though.
sitting with a father and son in complete disrepair. i dont even know how to help them.

Our sympathy to those close to her! All you can do is support them and be understanding.

Sorry to hear GCG, I went through this with the S/O earlier this year, I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than that feeling of complete helplessness as you watch your loved ones mourn. Stay strong.

for some reason, I am gutted too. it’s not that i didnt like her, but seeing his dad being so lost, and knowing this is his first death in the family.
also, i think, i never had the experience of going through the whole waiting in the hospital, people coming around, and having a support structure, with my own dad’s death. he died far away, i hadnt seen him in months. i only saw his cold body in the coffin. and then his ashes were stuck in some wall, which i had never visited.
i had really liked his mum. she was a really funky woman, and we had actually gotten on really well. so i am trying to keep my shit together for them both, and it seems all the friends are expecting me to be the ‘woman’ in the house now. whatever that may entail. i mean, christ, him and i dont even cohabit, nevermind are married. while i dont mind helping out, they cant expect me to ‘look after’ the two guys now. i have a job, my own home with animals and rent to pay. its like they expect me to drop everything.
also, with the viking, it seems like we’re super close now, like we’ve never been, but i cant make out if it’s real, or if he is just in a bad way. i’m plying him with affection and attention, which has the knock-on effect of making me feel all in love and stuff. but if he ends up feeling the way he usually does, when the initial hurt is over, i will be left floating again.
this whole situation is just fucked.

Eish GCG, I’m sorry for your loss, as well as the emotional confusion you’re trying to deal with now. Hang in there, the support is there for you too you know, make use of it.