Atheist census

The worldwide demographic study of more than 230 countries and territories found that more than eight people in 10 - about 5.8 billion people - identify with a religious group.

So that means there is 1.2 billion that does not identify. Job done

WTF Brain??? Poor little mite… Good for her that she is managing to rise over the general B/S that life throws at us. Adults can be so bloodyminded farked up.

If I may ask, why on earth did your daughter allow her to attend a scientology school? They’re a horrible sect to deal with.

I kicked against it and she also but it came down to availability and proximity to where they live at the end.My granddaughter was brave enough to stand up in class and say that God is a figment of imagination etc: She was isolated from leadership roles for some time until she attended a leadership bosberaad and became a “Monitor” (not the reptile type.) My daughter did nonetheless keep a beady eye on the doings of the teachers. What really pissed her off was when they found out that a large % of the school-fees (75% or so) went to Scientology in the US. At the end of the day, the child was given a balanced outlook at home and taught how to deal with this shit.

Wow, sounds like a very special kid. Admitting to ideas that go against the grain of their friends’ convictions is difficult enough for adults, and I imagine doubly so for youngsters.

Rigil

Recently came across this. Especially interesting is the evolutionary explanation for the phenomenon.

Rigil

Im familiar with the Stockholm syndrome, but have never thought of it in relation with religion, something to go ponder on in this context. Thanks!

Yip it’s over 92,000 now! :smiley:

98,000+ and just short of a thousand in South Africa.

Yes, and among the predictables there are two surprises and a real stunner in the “Top 10 Countries” list: Brazil and Turkey are surprising, given that they are both strongly religious (Roman Catholic and Muslim, respectively); and Iran, which is a Muslim theocracy. Perhaps the Iranians have grown weary of the madness of Mullahs, the insanity of Imams and the agitations of Ayatollahs.

Well in line with the 80:20 principle, the top five countries account for almost two-thirds of all respondents.

'Luthon64

150150 particpants thus far.

Looks as though the site may be under attack again.

'Luthon64

Brazil has dropped to 3rd place, with USA first and UK second.

http://www.atheistcensus.com/

Interesting that 73% of respondents are male. Then again, I don’t let any girls touch my computer either. :stuck_out_tongue: