Attack on "Draw the Prophet" event.

Sounds like the only people going below the clay are the 2 attackers. Guess that’s what you get when attacking Texans.

Two people were fatally shot Sunday outside a Garland, Texas, community center that was hosting an event displaying cartoons of the prophet Muhammad, local officials said.

Garland police spokesman Joe Harn said that two men drove up to the community center and “opened fire on the security officers” hired to protect the event before being shot themselves.

Neither of the suspects have been identified because their bodies remain on the street where they were shot as police teams are using robots to see if the car they pulled up in was rigged with explosives. Harn said that the bodies will be cleared once the vehicle is checked for potential explosives. Precautionary detonations could be heard overnight, as police continued to assess the crime scene.

One unarmed security guard from the local school district, which owns the community center where the event was held, was shot in the ankle but his injuries are said to be non-life threatening, according to Harn. Other Garland police officers who were on the scene were the ones who fatally shot the two suspects.

I wonder if, within the religious law of Islam, it is acceptable for a Muslim to burn a cartoon of the prophet. On the one hand, you are burning a piece of blasphemy. On the other, you are burning a picture of the prophet. >:D

I wonder if this is a good time to contrast strict gun laws and liberal gun laws:

France: Entire office full of utterly defenceless people gunned down, initially attackers get away and it takes a country-wide man-hunt to deal retroactive retribution.
Texas: Attackers don’t even make it through front door, 0 innocents *killed.

Fair point: These were security guards. But you have to imagine, being Texas, the event was chock-full of gun-carrying civilians who could’ve done the same.

On the topic of the tricky and convoluted pitfalls of debating ethics, here’s a very recent and prominent example that is peripherally relevant to the matter at hand.

'Luthon64

Perhaps you meant to post this in the assisted suicide thread?

Yes, it would’ve fitted similarly well there too, but the present subject matter touches on who holds the moral high ground in the friction between Islamists and the US, which is what prompted the fruitless Harris/Chomsky exchange.

'Luthon64

Ah, I was focussing on the seeming fruitlessness of that moral debate instead of its content. It was a tad TL;DR but I did get about halfway through. I’ve had similar debates in my mind when trying to find a single blameless group in SA history. Maybe through sheer ignorance my only answer is the Khoisan.

Gun Group Re-Enacts Charlie Hebdo Shooting, Then Surprises Everybody

This came out shortly after the shooting in France.

Not entirely surprising given how they’ve set up the experiment… we’re saying one lone gunman is not enough vs multiple heavily armed assailants? They also don’t seem to mention whether said gunman does any damage before going down. Perhaps later I’ll go find the actual thing this is from and investigate.

Well I’ve played enough Paintball to tell you. if you think you can run around like Rambo. you wont last long.
The best you could do is take up a defensive position maybe close by the exit so people can escape by you.

It looked to me as the guy shot one of the hostages him self.