Death

I am not only an atheist but I think a little “anti religious” so what happens when I die? I won’t be there so I don’t care, but the family might want some ceremony I guess. My wive and I both don’t want any religious ceremonies but how do we keep the rest of the family happy? Thing is that it is mainly the clergy lot who are trained for this, but they always turn an event like this into some sermon praising god for your death. I think it was Isaac Asimov who said “Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome”. Any ideas on who to ask to lead a ceremony like this?

Not sure who you can speak to that will help you with that, but I am with you on this. Here is an example of a ceremony on the RDF website for Luke William Ashton. Arthur C. Clarke who sadly died last month said this with regards his funeral arrangements -

Absolutely no religious rites of any kind, relating to any religious faith, should be associated with my funeral.
I think you can put something together in your will? This website says “the funeral director takes care of the practical arrangements, but it is up to you to say what kind of funeral ceremony you want” (It is a UK website but I am sure the same applies here). I am going to put something together in my will, I guess it will have to be up to my remaining family to decide who does what on the day - if they do anything that is!

A child’s mother died last night in a car accident. I was told to wait with my show while the domenie did berading with them. I don’t know what was said but when they came to me, 80% of them were in tears. Is this good or bad? Looks more like child abuse to me.

When I was at school, if a parent died they would just ask for a moment of silence in sympathy. Nowadays there seems to be an enthusiasm for counseling kids for all kinds of stuff. I don’t know if it is necessary or makes much of a difference.

It’s probably why they lack the mental tools to do anything without a “safe space”.

I would also cry when a child’s mother died, so empathy is in order.

Absolutely, but its lacking wisdom to gather children en-masse in a school hall and proceed to tell them their mothers are mortal and jesus need them more. Guarantee you half of them didnt sleep that night and the other half became clingy to their own. And consider the motherless child? Now he has been identified and will be subject to one of two scenarios, he will either be excluded as his condition may be “carching” or be indundated with weird questions (or bullying) which only primary school kids seem capable of. Its a case of lets trample the vulnerable because “why not”. Adults, for the most part is well meaning but dumb.

Dominees et al are purveyors of evil and use tragedy to strengthen their cause regardless of the victims who they beraad…regardless of that they believe most fervently they are doing good. I guess you also get good ones and fuckers!!!