Diet Coke had me crawling on all fours

I decided to reduce calories by drinking Diet Coke. After a while I would wake up feeling like the walking dead and with my luster for life gone but could not figure out why? I even started drinking 5 HTP which for me is humiliating.

I came across some material that says that Diet Coke might reduce serotonin in your brain. I found this study to support it but it seems only true for rats.

I have now stopped all my consumption of cola and the results have been dramatic. I feel 100% better.

I know that causality can be tricky so do you think I came to the right conclusion.

Well maybe if you had a double blind test to see if drinking cola had any effect, at this point
any further diet coke drinking will carry your bias.

But this is a good question because I’ve wondered many times how you could tell if a supplement
or something similar was working since you know its working and you know what the effect should be
so you are really loading the dice.

Who knows? I do know it taste god-awful, I generally prefer Coke zero if and when I do have any fizzy drinks.

Logic says that it would rather increase the seratonin level though considering its a “feel-good” chemical.

Snopes has this to say:

The last fizzy drink I had must was a good 10 - 12 years ago. Can’t stand it but whenever I see a Coke Zero can or ad I read it as Zero taste :slight_smile: for some reason. But any “diet” drink will make you fat - only fat people drink Tab for instance.

Faerie, there you go my theory falls flat on its back.
But I still wonder why the coke manufacturers forgot to put the happiness in the bottles that I bought. I feel so much better now.

I only drink diet coke when it has rum in it makes me feel great ;D
You didn’t say how much you were drinking, I’m sure excessive intake of any carbonated, artificially sweetened and coloured drinks would have a negative effect in some way.