Downloading from YouTube?

Any suggestions for the best way to download videos from YouTube? I have been using free software called Freemake Video Downloader, and it used to work brilliantly, but on many YT videos they now seem to have found ways to prevent Freemake from downloading - I constantly get the message “play the video in your browser.”

There are web pages where you can paste the URL of the video, but some of these will cheerfully download all manner of unwanted software onto your computer as well, without informing you, and before you know it you are fighting a running battle against junkware.

So what say ye tech gurus?

Try this one. It’s freeware, compact and works well, and also includes a user-settable auto-update feature. However, be aware that in the past they included other promo stuff in the installation, so you have to pay attention during the setup process.

Also, after installation, check that the downloader was the only thing that was installed. You can do this by clicking Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features. In the Programs and Features console click on the “Installed On” header to sort the list by install date. The YouTube downloader should be at the top. If anything else was also installed that you don’t want, you can uninstall it by right-clicking on it and selecting “Unininstall”.

'Luthon64

I use youtube-dl. It works really well and gives you a choice of download formats.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I’ll check them out, in between thumbing my nose at copyright law. :-).

Caught Mrs Kent once videoing the computer monitor with her cell phone. On the up side, she never complains about compatibility issues.

Rigil

Update: Alas, no luck. YouTube-dl refused to install. And Norton anti-virus refused to let the other one even download. In the meantime, Freemake has crashed completely while attempting to install an update, so now I’m out of options…

Try Keepvid.

I have done so in the past. Nowadays, this is what I get there:

from a youtube URL, remove the http://www portion and put an ss in front of what remains viola!

change https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXIMqeyTQMc to ssyoutube.com/watch?v=jXIMqeyTQMc and hit enter

I’ve been using Clipgrab now for a good couple of months, with almost no niggles. It offers a Youtube search function so you don’t even have to open your browser to search for and action a download. Very handy. https://clipgrab.org/

My Freemake downloader spontaneously starting working again, and works like a charm, but I’ll go check out clipgrab too…

YouTube is truly a marvel of the modern age - I can’t remember when last I bought a CD. :slight_smile:

Edit: One problem with ClipGrab: it doesn’t tell you how big the file is that you are going to download. Since I have a cap on my internet data, this is important information to me. I also notice that I now suddenly get messages from something called McAfee WebAdvisor, i.e. once again they installed software on my computer without asking or telling me.

I know! I’ve saved so much by fixing my own stuff after watching a few videos ranging from carburetors to fridges. Knowledge truly is power, and YT a valuable dispenser thereof.

Rigil

Hmm, never even thought of all the handy handyman stuff that might be on there. I learned a great deal about painting by watching YouTube vids though. Something that strikes me time and again: just what a total stranglehold on human creativity a few big publishing and music companies had in the past. They basically decided what we got to see, read and listen to. Now, suddenly, there are a bazillion hugely creative people online, freely sharing everything from their music to knowledge to homemade movies. I suspect this will end up being a far bigger threat to the current film and music industry than any amount of piracy.

Of course, the clever operators will learn how to use YouTube to their advantage instead of running around getting videos deleted for copyright infringement.

Now you replied while I was editing my previous message, so perhaps you missed it, so here is the edit again:

Edit: One problem with ClipGrab: it doesn’t tell you how big the file is that you are going to download. Since I have a cap on my internet data, this is important information to me. I also notice that I now suddenly get messages from something called McAfee WebAdvisor, i.e. once again they installed software on my computer without asking or telling me.

Sorry to hear that - it would be a disqualifier for me too. Luckily my PC was spared the third party interference.

I haven’t noticed the file size issue, as I normally download at max 720p, and find the duration of the video gives a good enough estimate of how long I’d sit twiddling thumbs. But ja, file size would conceivably be a handy additional feature. I might just suggest it as an improvement.

Rigil

Waiting for the file to download isn’t the issue; running out of data is. I have a limit on how much data I can download per month. On the last day of the month I make a point to use all of it, and then I often download movies that can take hours to download. :slight_smile:

Which brings us to the other great web thing besides YouTube, namely Pirate Bay. But of course we are all too nice to ever use it… :slight_smile: