Favorite character

Jack Reacher - Lee childs

Billy Pilgrim - Kurt Vonnegut - SlaughterHouse 5

Death - Terry Pratchett for sure!

Bubba - Dennis Lehane

Lisbeth Salander - Stieg Larsson

Yo, Dagny Taggard, now there’s a choice… She’s quite a masochist in bed, and prefers her men nice and sadistic.

Ayn Rand, had some cool philosophies, but some of it is very strange to me sometimes. Especially the fact that all her “hero” characters are complete nutters in the sack, but otherwise utterly perfect human beings in every way, shape, and form. INCLUDING being born of massively wealthy families. (I talk of now of Atlas Shrugged). Also her characters are very stereotypically “black and white” to me. They are either, as I’ve said, absolutely perfect, or made out of PURE EVIL!

(However I still appreciate the kind of ethic she was trying to portray)

Here’s one of Ayn Rand’s philosophies;

[quote] “Racism is the lowest, most crudely primitive form of collectivism. It is the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man’s genetic lineage … Which means, in practice, that a man is to be judged, not by his own character and actions, but by the characters and actions of a collective of ancestors.”

I’m reading Atlas Shrugged now based on the accolades bestowed upon it in this thread. Don’t think I’ve read anything nearly as thick before (i.e. many pages). Isn’t there a movie out yet? - they’ve had like 53 years …

Mintaka

he he he

next year

Well worth the read though. Except the Speech. >:D

I have two favourite fictional characters:

1. “Lincoln Rhyme”, the quadraplegic detective from the Jeffrey Deaver novels (Denzil Washington played him in “The Bone Collector”) and

2. “God” from The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. (plus a multitude of other authors!)

Suttree from the novel of the same name by Cormac McCarthy

or just about any character from any Cormac McCarthy book, this author just does it for me.

My dark side loves Hannibal Lectern! and the books are brilliant

I love all Terry Pratchett’s characters, but especially Granny Weatherwax.

Also, Spud (John van de Ruit), Mma Ramotswe (No 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith), Miss Marple (Agatha Christie).

I like Denny Crane more. ;D

And you gotta love the Death of Rats, the Grim Squeaker

She’s pretty cool, but Rincewind is my favourite.

Starting page 460 of 1078 today… ( in case anyone cares :stuck_out_tongue: ) My aim is to beat the movie release date that cygost linked to.

Mintaka

I had no idea what mine were at first but I’ll venture some choices:

Trillian - Hitchikers guide to the galaxy - D. Adams

Joshua Calvert - The Night’s Dawn trilogy - Peter Hamilton (Not because he’s a womanizer, but just because he has really cool adventures)

But I think my favourite is Dexter Morgan.

So… I did not deliberate long on this one. For the last few years my reading time has been hijacked (sadly) by text books.

However, I LOVE the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland. Because, according to society, I am also a bit mad…

Who knew?

Jon Rico - Starship Troopers (Heinlein)
Lazarus Long - Time Enough For Love(Heinlein)
Arthur Dent - Hitchhikers Guide (Adams)
The Patrician - Discworld (Pratchet)
Isabel Kid/El Cabrito - Floating Outfit series (J T Edson)
Hermione Granger - HP (Rowling)
Susan Calvin - Robot Series (Asimov)
The Doctor - (Various)
Ayla - Clan Of the Cave Bear (Auel)
Jenkins the robot - City series (Simak)
Smash Ogre - Ogre Ogre (Piers Anthony)
Worzel - Lensman series (EE Doc Smith)

not a bad list, alloytoo :wink:

I seem to have left fantasy and science fiction reading behind a little. Something which I thought would never happen! :-[

(To make up for this deficit I play hours of Dungeons and Dragons Online :D)

The Stainless Steel Rat in the series by Harry Harrison

D’oh how could I forget Slippery Jim and beautiful yet deadly missus

I confess I’m not up to speed on the latest stuff, my list is mostly the classics.