Flu Shots

This morning I went downstairs to the clinic to receive my yearly flu shot. I’ve been quite good about it for most of my adult life, even though I on average still contract a good, nasty bout of flu every second year or so. My S/O believes I’m wasting my time (its for free so thats not an issue). I do know that the shot itself doesnt prevent all the types of flu flying about in any one season, and that its a guessing game all the same which one would be the most prevalent one.

I’m after opinions, your thoughts on the administering of flu shots and whether it does play a preventative role or not?

My personal experience is that flu shots do just that: give me the flu. I stay away from them.

i’ve NEVER had a flu shot. ever. i get, at best, a sore throat and a snot nose. which is sinus related. and a regular.
if i am going to expose myself to the horror of a needle, i want to leave the fight with a tattoo to prove it.

As far as I know, flu is an issue mostly with the very young and the elderly. I get a flu just about every year, and then use it as an excuse to lie in bed with a good book for a day or two. As I get older, the symptoms actually seem to become ever milder.

It might be of use to the elderly to get a flu shot, but I do not plan on doing that either. When my grandma was 84, she got the flu. She turned at death’s door after it changed into pneumonia, but pulled through thanks to modern medicine. A year or two later she had a stroke, and then spent two years sitting in a chair and drooling, paralyzed but still very much conscious. How much better it would have been for her had the flu killed her, I often thought. It usually does, in cases like hers, but if you go get a flu shot, you might not even get the sniffles.

I think after a certain age it might be a better idea not to get flu shots and to cancel the medical fund. I have worked in the medical industry, and it is just that: an industry. They’ll keep you alive even if you are 95, and in the last stages of Alzheimer’s, because they know your heart doesn’t pump blood so much as money, and will continue to pump it as long as they can keep it pumping. Well, the damn butchers aren’t getting their hands on me, if I can help it.

gah! when i said that the pharmaceutical industry are a bunch of vampires, i got told i’m a conspiracy slut. and here you go.

Viruses and bacteria evolve - new drugs only work for so long until the virus becomes immune to it.

In combating illnesses we indirectly create more dangerous mutations. This keeps the pharmacutical companies in business and us buying.

My approach - if you can survive without the flu injection then dont get it. If you’re about to die and drugs are your only option - take the drugs. Those bastards are gonna get very little cash from me!!!

My two cents, the pharmaceutical companies may not be perfect but they are angles compared to the supplement industry. Pharmaceuticals research their products to create new products. Then countries like India gives them the one finger and decides they will produce generic products. But who will pay for the research and development for improved drugs. Usually people want government to take over this role. Yes a long with the 101 other things that government has to provide us eg. housing, education, roads etc. Who will pay for these? Our taxes but god forbid if they raise taxes.

would that be obtuse or right? ::slight_smile:

snigger

:smiley:

GCG I think that if the pharmaceutical companies could take a take a leaf out of the supplement industries book they could double their profits overnight. The supplement industry is self regulated and can use clever word play to promise you the world and deliver nothing. 0:)

hey dude. you cant tell me squat about woo-medicine. i had to edit and lay out a 700 page ebook on the crap. do you know how much my troll senses were in overload? cancer cure my ass.

I saw the post Faith Drops. It was a very interesting post.
My answer was the best reply I could think of. You are always so sincere and I like your posts.

In the pharma industry? Would have to be acute … :-*

Rigil