-gate

Where does the -gate saying comes from as in Watergate (I suspect it is this one) Nkangala-gate and now Gupta-gate?

Yes, it comes from the Watergate scandal, and since then everyone wants to append “-gate” to any and all “scandals” to indicate the severity.

I’m not very fond of the practise.

EDIT: Found this handy list

It is in fact scandalous in itself, and should be known as Gategate.

And then there is Bill Gates…

I agree it is a bit of a trope now |-O, if journalist had originality they would have been authors.

When I went bankrupt about 10 years ago I felt quite bad about the businesses losing money but not so much anymore, since I heard that Sahara Computers is owned by the Guptas. They lost about R500,000 on me, but that was of course not even peanuts to them. But still :smiley:

I hear that Mr Malema wants the Guptas charged with high treason for landing the plane where it did. Does that make any sense? Are the Guptas South African citizens? I’m assuming you can only commit high treason against your own country.

Rigil

Mr Malema should be charged with high stupidity. Perhaps fortunately however, that’s not a punishable offence. Were it otherwise, the entire law enforcement, legal and penal system would quickly grind to a complete standstill due to high stupidity’s ubiquity…

'Luthon64

The way I read certain members of the ANC are using this as a perfect excuse to outst the pres.

EDIT: And here I was thinking they had more than enough ammunition already.

The Watergate hotel, which contained a Democratic Party campaign office. Nixon’s hired goons broke in, precipitating the scandal that forced Nixon to resign.

Jounalists have appended ‘gate’ to every scandal since because they are lazy and have no imagination or talent whatsoever.

The equine meat contamination scandal - cattle gate.
Corruption involving abalone poaching - pearly gate.
The silly decision to ban cropping and docking of pedigree dogs - tail gate.
Drawn out efforts to effect automated electronic road levies - toll gate.
Political abuse of nuclear missiles - boom gate.
Civil aviation abusing military air force bases - security gate.
Very suspicious cancellation of the 53rd international tulip show - garden gate.

;D

… and of course the sceptics’ favourite, the shameful and pervasive inability to think consequently, logic gate. This one can often be covered up by suitable manipulation of a sluice gate… ::slight_smile:

'Luthon64

The persistent belief that aliens built the pyramids: Stargate.

Software deliberately designed full of bugs, so that users have to keep buying upgrades: Bill Gate

Trying to get into a mall on foot without having to walk in the middle of the road: No Gate

Books like Dianetics: Gobbledygate

A few more, with a twist: :wink:

• Abrogate: What govt officials habitually do with their duties
  • Aggregate: Govt’s rapid growth through corruption and nepotism
  • Arrogate: How govt officials usually acquire wealth and status
  • Castigate: Govt’s fear of what will happen should the people ever find them out
  • Congregate: What govt officials invariably do when there’s a kickback to be had
  • Conjugate: When govt tries to fool the public that it is fair, honest and honourable
  • Corrugate: When govt officials waver between two conflicting falsehoods
  • Delegate: Another thing govt officials habitually do with their duties
  • Elongate: Govt officials’ misconduct with fiscal budgets
  • Frigate: Govt officials caught being bribed with an unauthorised sailing trip
  • Fumigate: The usual result of govt trying its own internal anti-corruption cleanup
  • Instigate: Whenever govt claims it has the people’s mandate for some blatantly self-serving new policy or practice
  • Interrogate: A common result of govt officials being interviewed by Debora Patta
  • Investigate: Before Debora Patta’s interviews become public knowledge
  • Irrigate: What govt officials habitually do to the truth
  • Litigate: When an artist or cartoonist lampoons a govt official
  • Mitigate: Govt spokespersons’ attempts to mislead the people about what govt is really up to
  • Navigate: Inevitable result when govt downplays one of its scandals, thereby worsening it
  • Negate: Habitual and automatic denial by govt officials of any responsibility or dishonesty on their part when confronted with ironclad proof
  • Obligate: When the people realise that govt officials are completely ineffectual shirkers and leeches
  • Profligate: When the press delves into govt’s usual money management practices
  • Promulgate: How govt tries to hide its nefarious intent, especially where media are concerned
  • Propagate: The habit of dishonestly appointing more and more incompetent stooges
  • Relegate: What happens to any competent govt official who eschews corruption
  • Segregate: Another thing that often happens to competent and honest govt officials
  • Subjugate: Discovery of govt’s grand overall plan for the people who voted them into power
  • Surrogate: When a govt official goes on holiday to avoid a duty, leaving a fall guy in charge
  • Variegate: Govt’s singular inability to accommodate dissenting and/or critical voices

'Luthon64

Wow!

Isn’t it kind of funny how almost all threads here eventually descend into punning?

It’s actually kind of scandalous… ;D

I saw on an article that we should start using Nkandla as a suffic. Instead of Guptagate, Guptankandla.
Can grow on you.

It's actually kind of scandalous.

Damn good tautology!

Threadgate ???