Greetings

Hi everyone. As should be obvious, I, too, am a South African skeptic and atheist. I joined the forum because, sad as it may be, I do not know even one single “out” atheist IRL and I often feel frustrated and alone. And angry. Very, very angry.

Anycase, I only just joined so I’ll probably lurk for a while. See ya around.

EDIT: You know what, freck that. I’ve been ruled by fear my entire life and this is just another example of it - too terrified someone, somewhere will find out I’m gasp an atheist, so lemme try that again.

Hi everyone. My name is Leia, I’m 30, I come from Potchefstroom, born and raised. To an extend, that’s like living in the Bible Belt on steroids, or at least that’s how it feels right now.

I work at the tertiary institution there, hoping to one day become a lecturer. That’s if I ever manage to get my Honours done - I’ve been trying for years to do it at this institution but I’ve finally given up and will register at UNISA for next year. Right now my study field is language and linguistics, but I’m hoping to get to a point where I can do degrees in sociology, psychology and eventually, hopefully, something in physics or biology. I’m one of those people who would be happy to be a student/scholar for the rest of my life, always striving to learn something more, hoarding knowledge like a crow hoards shiny things.

I’m a regular reader and sometime contributor at Pharyngula and the rest of Freethoughtblogs and my main interests lie in issues of atheism, social justice and social constructs.

That’s all I can think of that would be of interest right now, but questions are welcome! And thanks for creating this space.

I feel for you: Surrounded by Doppers with little prospect of reprieve. That must be like a mini-Gehenna all on its own. :o

Anyway, welcome to this mostly quiet corner of the WWW. Hope you find it to your liking.

'Luthon64

hi Leia, Welcome and don’t feel ur alone there are many atheists OUT but Potch is something else!

Welcome, and yes, it sucks to live with this. Hopefully you’ll be doing SITP Potch any day now. :wink:

Hi and welcome.

Welcome Leia.

Welcome Leia!

Its horrible not have someone to share your thoughts with. Feel free to rant and rave here, we generally sympathise.

Welcome Leia

You’ve made me feel very under educated now.

Oh no, please don’t!

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

SITP in Potch? Hulle sal waarskynik open met skriflesing en gebed. Die definisie van 'n Potch skeptic is iemand wat dink die Nuwe Vetaling is 'n conspiracy. ;D

Nee wag, ek grap net… welkom Leia, lekker om jou ook hier te hê!

Rigil

I Lol’d coz it’s very, very true.

Hi Leia, welcome to the forum. I’m actually in my last year of potch, doing my masters. Maybe we should setup a SITP Potch.
Give me shout, my student nr. 20661363.

We can open each meeting with my favourite bible verse, Spreuke 31:6 “Gee sterk drank aan hom wat wil ondergaan, en wyn aan die wat bitter bedroef is.”

That will be awesome, I’ll throw you an email as soon as I can see over my pile of work and we’ll take over the Jakker with our SKEPTICISM! Or have coffee. Also good.

So… did you guys get together? It must be so awesome to have someone to chat to about your disbelief face-to-face. I’m quite a closet unbeliever at the moment.

I'm quite a closet unbeliever at the moment
coming out is fun when people who know you to be a believer suddenly hear/see otherwise: watch their faces and body language. Sometimes though it's hard and people can become arrogant, insulting and downright aggressive. This weekend I had a run in with a woo woo of the highest order who pontificated how Jesus looked after a friend's daughter in Germany and who was beaten up by a bouncer, bleeding in the face etc. FFS...I stripped my moer and walked out in disgust!

Other times you get this look of total dis belief and they state (quite sincerely) “But, but, you’re such a GOOD person!?!??!”

Nope … never got that look. >:D