Hi from Hartbeespoort

Hey all

Not sure why I’m only discovering this site now.

Am an engineer from Cape Town who moved in Feburary to take up working life 101 at Pelindaba. Living in Hartbeespoort at the moment (prob moving to Pretoria soon enough). Was a super culture shock coming from (mostly) happy liberal Cape Town. Someone forgot to replace the seal on the Jesus cupboard up here, and it’s got a pretty bad leak. But oh well.

I found the thread about the visit to Hartbeeshoek - pity I didn’t know about this group before! I went in April with the SO and some friends, mostly to see the telescope. It makes the nerd in me very happy. We also got the laser light show, which is by far the most jaw-droppingly awesome thing I have ever seen ever. Absolutely.

Someone said in that thread something about visting the Pelindaba visitors centre. All us employees had a chance to traipse through before it opened to the public. It’s got some pretty neat displays. Nothing super nerdy, it’s mostly geared towards high school kids and the general public, but has nice factoids here and there, and some hands on touchy machines. I could try find out about the logistics of a private visit, if anyone is interested.

So hi everyone - I’m at work so I’ll take a walk around the forums a bit later and see what happens around here.

Cheers
Maske

Someone forgot to replace the seal on the Jesus cupboard up here,
;D Like that one! Welcome.

the jesus cupboard was chopped up ages ago to made a braai and a crucifix from. and a stake to kill the satanists.

Hi and Welcome! Make yourself at home, the forum provide a little bit of sanity on a daily basis.

@GCG there’s still satanists left up north? I thought they all moved to Welkom in an attempt to escape the xtians?

every goth, hippie, emo, metal head, rocker, midwife, herbalist and cat-lady is a satanist annerkant die boerewors-gordyn

you forgot atheist… >:D

Oh yeah, and plenty satanists in Witbank, I got told very seriously by a colleague the other day. I think it’s the Smog.

Got a cousin there who disowned me, apparently I’m headed for hell, had to point out to her that she’s already living there with the smell of brimstone in the morning air. She slammed down the phone and I have’nt spoken to her since - this was 15 years ago… Satanists in Witbank actually makes sense to me.

and Sasolburg. God’s peopol that place.

Feel sorry for those just passing through!!! >:D

i lived there for three years. THREE YEARS of my life i will never get back. ever. i made an observation that didnt go down well with the locals: there are a rather high amoung of retardation and physical disabilites in that place… either inbreeding or those toxic shit-smelling fumes that stick to your car’s paintwork for all eternity.

Welcome, maske.

I sold encyclopaedias door to door in Sasolburg. Didn’t do badly; quite a lot of the natives were keen to give their kids a leg-up, or maybe they just wanted them to look larnie for the neighbours.

I sold encyclopaedias door to door in Sasolburg. Didn't do badly; quite a lot of the natives were keen to give their kids a leg-up, or maybe they just wanted them to look larnie for the neighbours.
That must have been a while ago. The computer - CD - Internet killed that market. I've still got a leather bound set of Britannica (sold by a door to door salesman) sitting on my bookshelf. Haven't looked at it for years.
  1. World Book.

Welcome Maske.

Its very handy during power failures and you have a kid with a project due the next day. Doing homework by candlelight from an encyclopeadia bought back wonderful memories.