Hi!

Hi everyone

So glad to have found this group!
Quick intro… I’m Danny, a computer programmer from Morningside, JHB. I am a very keen follower of the skeptical movement! Huge fan of The Skeptics Guide to the Universe and The Geologic Podcast :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work guys!

Hello!!

Welcome, enjoy your stay!

This is why people must not become programmers. They slave away at 2 in the morning on impossible deadlines trying to build a website from a one liner requirements specification and the telkom line is currently delivering bits at 2400 baud. You brew a cupper while waiting for the ls command to return on the server. Fortunately, most of the time this forum does not require broadband, on occasion a youtube clip is embedded in a post. Welcome!

Haha, you have no idea how right you are; when all’s said and done though, I love being a programmer. In 20-30 years - when the entire service sector is automated - programmers, scientists and a small handful of other professions will be the only positions to be filled by humans (mostly).

hey morningside, just up the road from you. enjoy it here.

I always say programmers will be THE LAST people to lose their jobs. Once programmers are made redundant, everyone else will be by virtue of the automated programmers rapidly writing programs to replace them.

As a programmer, I understand that the 2am time stamp is not necessarily due to you being at work, but just being awake because, well, sometimes you are… I’m a night person…

Welcome.

Nope, I was working :slight_smile: but my “awake-hours” are typically from 09h00 to 03h00… 'tis the plight of the freelancer I suppose. Thanks all for the warm greetings!!

Who’s going to the SITP tomorrow night?

Considering it.

Hi Danny,
I believe we’ve already met in a cyclone over Aus, but welcome belatedly.

Thanks Hermes :slight_smile:

It was a bit windy, and the greetings were blown out of porportion. :wink:

welcome Danny…looking forward to your contributions

heya and welcome to here :slight_smile:

Yo.

Mintaka

Hi Danny. Welcome bro. Having read some of your posts I can safely say you will DEFINITELY fit very well into our “little family”.