How Long is a Piece of String

This short book is a sequel to Why do Buses come in Threes by the same authors, Rob Eastaway and Jeremy Wyndham. It explores the math and numbers behind topics such as elevators, fractals and Sierpinski triangles, chaos and the weather, music, scams, karaoke singers and several others. It’s a pretty quick and fun read, and should also appeal to teens. An idea in the book that was particularly cool is the weird and wonderful enclosure of a finite area (like a square), by an infinitely long piece of string.

I bought mine for R69 from a country bookstore, but it’s also available here, apparently for even less:

Rigil

No he isn’t. He’s a Chinaman.

A piece of string is 2 metres long exactly.

A piece of string is twice the length from it’s middle to it’s end. 0:)

Rigil

A piece of string is about 1mm long, but it can be very wide.

Usually just long enough to choke yourself with it.

Theoretically the quantum is relative.

But just too short to do whatever you need to do with it. Much like power chords.

You can fix this problem with a good quality sustain pedal. If it’s still not long enough, try using a longer tremolo arm:wink:

'Luthon64

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/scienceskeptic/how-long-is-a-piece-of-string/?action=dlattach;attach=823;image

But I think he’s into classical guitar, IIRC.

Aint that the truth. :smiley:

There is a joke in the book that goes something like this:

How can you tell the difference between a mathematician and an engineer? You ask them what pi is.

Mathematician: It is a ratio describing the circumference of a circle to its diameter, a transcendental irrational beginning with 3.14 and continuing to an infinite number of digits.

Engineer: It’s about 3, but let’s call it 10 just to be on the safe side.