in the image of man

teh gays

That is still yesterday. Today’s Burger actually states the NGK accept gays and gay marriage. “Kerk sê ja vir gays… Mag nou trou en seksualiteit uitleef”

In other words a bunch of old men (mostly, I assume) sat around and chatted and debated and then made up God’s mind for him. Screw Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

What totally gets me, as in totally… How the fuck does this not cause people to question their faith??

??? (wtf!!) :confused:

(perhaps I am too quick here, we may yet see an Exodus of members in reaction to this)

So welcome, NGK, to the 21st Century. Agter os kom ook in die kraal!!

Exactly! If the Nominale Godkoppie Klub truly holds as its foundation the eternal word of God then what has changed? Remarkably they don’t even bother professing that God itself came down to give them a new set of instructions in a dream (albeit, perchance, a longish dream with a slightly erotic interlude involving two young nuns coasting side saddle on their mountain bikes). BUT NOTHING. They just sit around a melamine chipboard table and re-write the rules themselves. How flipping man-made and devoid of any spirituality is that? The blatant pandering to mass appeal is poorly concealed and would be laughable if it wasn’t also so predictable. The luxury of changing rules at a whim and in response to the zeitgeist should be the privilege of the secular! They have no right: stand by your guns, churches, and die like men!

Naturally the NGK is not alone in heralding that supreme source of divine fuzziness, contradiction and omission, The Holey Bible, as the basis of its dogma. The Biblical fuzziness lends itself beautifully to this kind of thing. If it was any more exact, it would have become, like a text on mathematics, a comparatively unpopular read. Fuzzy sells. Someone realized this centuries ago.

we may yet see an Exodus of members in reaction to this

As is traditional among my Afrikaner brethren, I expect that a brand new church will split off within a week or two.

Rigil

As is traditional among my Afrikaner brethren, I expect that a brand new church will split off within a week or two.
Die kerk het op 'n stadium amper versplinter oor die vraag of vrouens hoede kerk toe moet dra of nie. Enigste vraag is wat hulle hulself gaan noem? KSM (Kerk Sonder Moffies)

The church is between a rock and a hard place. If they don’t change with the times, they’ll eventually lose all their members. If they do change, it leaves them open to precisely the criticism that Cyghost mentions in the OP: they come across as lacking faith.

I suppose their reply would be that our understanding of God develops over time. Or whatever.

Anyway, I think we can prepare for a major round of founding new churches.

Sit twee Australiërs bymekaar en hulle stig 'n sportspan.
Sit twee Amerikaners bymekaar en hulle stig 'n maatskappy.
Sit twee Afrikaners bymekaar en hulle stig af.

… hulle stig af.” One day you’ll have to explain that idiom to me because all I heard was “whoooosh!

'Luthoff64

It means to leave an existing organization which does not share your personal views (any more), so as to form your own organization with its own, more acceptable, custom dogma. Probably the most notable example is the protestant churches emerging from Catholicism due to the niggles encountered by Luther et al.

A popular tongue-in-the-cheek cultural view of the Afrikaner is that of someone who would rather found his own organization anew than make do with an organization that reflects a mere 99% of his views. The joke above takes this to the extreme, implying that any given Afrikaner will only need a second Afrikaner to warrant an “afstigting”.

Rigil

Sies!

“… hulle stig af.” One day you’ll have to explain that idiom to me because all I heard was “whoooosh!”

More-or-less: They split: mostly in terms of church but also applicable otherwise. Ex: the great trek and it’s countless subdivisions and feuds.

Anyway, I guess once again the church conveniently re-interprets itself to “spontaneously” learn what secular morality has been telling it for years. Ironically they will no doubt soon remind us all how secularists have no morals and they have the monopoly. More bullshit you couldn’t concoct if you used the floor at an abattoir.

Ah, okay, thanks people. So the sense is to “secede”, “f(r)actionate” and “splinter (off)”.

(My woordeboek was most unhelpful.)

'Cluethon64

If the word is in the woordeboek at all, it will probably be under “afstig” rather than “stig af.” Who says Afrikaans is an easy language? :slight_smile:

Die gemeente om dop te hou is Moralettapark. Wonder of hulle die oud (gay en gefire daaroor n paar jaar terug) kerkorrelis weer sal aanstel om hulle “aanvaarding” te bewys?

Genesis 38:8-10

Yep, that was my first fruitless stop. Mind you, my woordeboek is from my schooldays, so perhaps not the best source of info.

'Luthon64