Introductions??

Aah, one introduces oneself, does one??

OK: middle-aged (if I live to 110) male scientist; skeptical of many things, but a whole-hearted believer in the inherent goodness of puppies, kittens, red wine and chain saws. Preferably not combined.

Lover of hard science fiction, and especially the recent imaginings of Neal Stephenson and Neal Asher; eschewer of imaginary friends since 1970, cynic, and hopelessly attached to 1970s rock music. Got invited to a Skeptics Society in [name of city redacted] to give a talk and was pleasantly surprised that there was such a thing. Took years to find this, though - and then only by accident, and because a blog post of mine made it onto the blogroll.

I look forward to jousting with y’all.

Welcome, I think there’s a few “middle-aged” members here, myself included, so you’re not in bad company, as for the rest of your intro, you got me with the kittens, puppies and red wine!

Enjoy it here!

Aah, one introduces oneself, does one??

Only ones who refer to themselves in third person. :smiley:

Howdy and welcome and all that fuzzy nice stuff.

Welcome :slight_smile:

One always refers to oneself in the third person - shouldn’t I?? Especially as the one that posted may not be the one that answers…ah, the joys of MPD!

Welcome! Yay, more scientists :). What is your blog’s name btw :)?

Retroid Raving. Use it carefully…B-)

Several people have mentioned that this forum is not easy to find. I googled “skeptic South Africa” and the site was listed in second place, which is fine. When googling “atheist South Africa” I only found “atheist cartoons”, a thread on this forum in 23rd spot. I think many people look under “atheist” rather than “skeptic”. Could our google tags for that be improved, even though it’s not exactly the same thing?

Welcome to the forum, kollectiv.

welcome kollectiv…beware of the pseudo-scientists, mock philosophers and straw-trolls. You’ll enjoy the ride though. >:D

Nice having you here kollectiv. ;D

Mintaka

Welcome. Good to have you on board.

Hello!
I’m curious about the chainsaw… forestry, braai wood, sculpture?

I'm curious about the chainsaw... forestry, braai wood, sculpture?
:

Yes. Well, it all ends up as braai wood, I suppose.