is nature a healer?

i’ve been on the receiving end of a sinus attack for the past 3 weeks.
plenty of fun.
i hate taking pills. hate it.
so i’ve hovered over my humidifier. nothing.

so i’m wondering, what clout is there is old skool natural remedies.
like taking garlic as a natural antibiotic.

before i go and overdosing myself on garlic pills, i would rather know its not for shits and giggles.

any thoughts?

quite frankly the only thing that works for me (it’s that time of year when all the grass seeds etc and pollen will bring on allergies etc) is to take a cortisone based nasal spray (prescription needed) and also a decongestant for the lungs as well. The spray is usually only prescribed for two repeats but it should see you through. Hang in there! :’(

2 Sinutabs and a cold compress on the bridge of my nose whilst languishing in bed. Alternatively - my S/O doing that thing with his hands (he knows some lovely tricks on pressure points across the face) - but generally the sinutabs works. My mother believes in a seasalt spray, which frankly freaks me out, water up the nasal cavities are’nt my idea of a solution.

On the other hand, if you’re a lover of garlic, go for it, and while you’re at it, breathe on your boss! :wink:

problem is, i’m a hippie at heart, and i hate taking any chemicals. call me paranoid. but ja, sometimes one sometimes have to resort to drugging yourself to hell to achieve results.
i would, ofcourse, be mightily happy if i could eat something, or not eat something, or drink some tea, to make this go away.
what irks me as well, is that i never had allergies before. now, all of a sardine, my lips puff up when i use lipgloss or zambuck, and i have sinus. wtf?
could it be, and im treading woo waters here, a case of chemicals and crap in the food and water, building up over the years, and it simply reaching a stage where my body is saying ‘hell no!’

Sinuses like a relative humidity (RH) of above 50% – the higher, the better. On the Highveld, the RH in winter rarely goes above 30% and even in the rainy season it averages less than 60%. The basic problem is that the sinuses dry out, which is aggravated by dust and pollen in the air. Many ENTs recommend doing a saline sinus rinse once or twice daily. It moistens the sinuses and washes out the congesting gunk. Not very yummy, but worth the effort once you get used to it. If you can afford it and have the leisure time available, sitting in a sauna is beneficial too.

'Luthon64

I also battled with this a month ago. My pharmacist did not recommend Sinutab, as it tends to dry the mucus. He recommended Sinuclear, which makes your nose more runny. It did nothing for me - in the end time healed it after about four weeks. Avoid alcohol, especially beer, as it can cause irritation.

my pharmacist gave me demazin ns, and ibumol, since the sinucons does didddly these days.
so, she recons, that if this keeps up after three days of taking this stuff, i must see my doc. joy.

but my question is, still, isnt there an actual natural remedy for this?
not hocus pocus woo shit, actual roots of fruits, that does the job. something i can plant in my backyard, and use when needed.
like drinking cranberry juice when you have cystitis.
how the hell did people get along before modern medicine came along?

they inhaled zol, my dol ;D…and used root ginger solutions combined with boiled comfry packed hot on the forehead and cheeks

if i had to rook 'n takkie everytime i have a headache, my brain will mush my chrismas.

You are paranoid. Chemicals are in everything. Garlic contains chemicals, Water is a chemical. Labeling something “a chemical” doesn’t make it bad. Labeling something “natural” doesn’t make it good. Cyanide is a natural chemical. WTF is up with the sudden hankering for a “natural remedy”? If a natural remedy is tested, and actually works, then it becomes a medicine. You know, one of those “bad chemicals!” in the little vials might actually have come from a plant to begin with…

More importantly, how does the fact that a compound or drug was extracted, concentrated, and/or synthesised in a factory suddenly make it unnatural!? If humans are an inextricable part and product of nature, whatever they do is necessarily natural.

'Luthon64

Thanks BoogieMonster for a clear thinking expose of what chemicals are. I call civilisation “The chemical people” Every fucking thing in a city has chemicals in it. From the soap you used in the morning, the make up people wear, the paint and tiles on your walls, the keys on your keyboard to the clothes you wear. Even the tyres and paint on their cars and the food they eat. All products of the petrochemical industry (And Greenpeace wants to close these guys down?).

Back to the sinus problem. In Cape Town the RH is between 60 and 90% at all times. CT has the greatest TB incidence. Sinusitis and Asthma are also big problems. Since moving to the great Karoo with an RH of 30 - 40% I have had no sinus problems. The dryness takes a while getting used to but the body adapts quickly.

CGC, Chemicals are part of life. Any natural remedy, once proven, becomes medicine and is regulated.