is our food affecting our bodies?

well obviously, but more specifically, the medicines and stuff that our steaks consume before they end up on our plate.
do these drugs hang around in the muscle that become our dinner, or does it get eliminated via waste processess?
like, for arguments sake, anybody that has bowel problems, knows that if you eat live culture yoghurt, the problems get solved. why cant these bacteriums thrive without yoghurt? what about humans who dont have access to yoghurt?
if the bacteria are supposed to breed and thrive on their own, what is killing them off?

i know we have sharp people on here. any explanations?

It’s possibly something to do with the fact that doctors prescribe antibiotics for everything from an ingrowing toenail to brain cancer. Your poor old gut fauna don’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell and have to be replenished after each visit to your GP.

I don’t think (but I could be wrong) that it has anything to do with steak.

Not knowing much aside from the general nutrition stuff, prescribed antibiotics generally bugger up your system, and yogurt can sort that out in a jiffy, you shouldnt have to eat yogurt all the time to replenish the necessary “good” bugs in your system. If you have a cronic problem with your guts, you need to re-look your diet as well as have a good check-up to see if anything is amiss before blaming it on steak or the like.

As for the quality of our food, we do tend to live an awful long time in comparison with a couple centuries ago, so it cant be all THAT bad?

i’m just thinking, now people are wheat-intolerant, lactose intolerant, fok-knows-what intolerant. you need to eat digestive bran to poo regularly. you eat special live culture yoghurt, and when you stop, you bloat up…
how’s in allah’s name did we manage to get this far evolutionary-wise, if we are such a pathecally timid and prone-to-illness species?
if all these ailments are a sign of the times, and digestion was never an issue in years of yore, then what the hell are we doing wrong?

case in point. i have suffered from IBS many moons. have now been grazing the special yoghurt for a few weeks. awesomeness ensued. stopped from a few days, not so awesome anymore.

so, if these yoghurts contain these bacteria my innards need to function, where the hell are they going, so that there is a need to replenish them?

i’m on no medicine. hadnt been on antibiotics for a good while now, and replenished them with pro-biotics.
so where are my microbes going? what’s killing them off?

I don’t know. I don’t suffer from any of those things. Maybe it’s because I drink so much?

More and more all food we consume contains traces of antibiotics, growth hormones and other chemicals fed to the livestock. Much of the fruit and vegatables contain traces of chemicals used to promote growth and to protect the crops from pests and disease. All of this means that many who live and buy their food through the modern food chain are getting more than they bargain on. The increase in various allergies, food rejection and intolerance might well be a result of this.
Research into these effects as well as any potential problem resulting from the genetically modified crops would appear to have a fair distance to go!

Hi cgc, I can give you some advise though. Use some probiflora 9 strain for a couple of months, it really does work. I don’t think its just your flora balance that’s the problem a lot of it is to do with your imune system to. I don’t know how many veggies you eat? And also using antibiotics causes these problems, even if you have used it only a few months ago. I have had biotics only 6 months ago and it took a long time to get my flora balance back. I hope this helps.

I had a protracted battle with this about 2 years ago. Ate yoghurt etc with only temporary relief. After my doc ran all kinds of tests he’d eliminated all the ‘bad’ diagnoses and confirmed that the problem was merely my ‘good’ bacteria couldn’t gain an upper hand over the ‘bad’ bacteria. I could get it almost normal for a while, but the moment I left it chaos returned. All he did in the end was put me on a obscene amount of probiotic pills, and soon enough all was well again, and it has stayed that way with little effort on my part.

I think that the problem was indeed that the bad stuff had taken over and it took an ‘overwhelming force’ of the good stuff to return the balance. Fwiw: I’ve read conjecture that this is the evolutionary function of the appendix, to serve as a haven for our bacterial friends but I have to admit it doesn’t seem to work very well…

Breeding in numbers and technology — the same things that are making various microorganisms increasingly resilient and dangerous…

'Luthon64