Most repulsive South Africans.

I saw this http://www.buffalobeast.com/?p=4182 on Pharyngula. Did not like their # 1. Now how about compiling a list of the most repulsive South Africans?

I’ve got three nominations for the list - in no particular order:

Malema (I’m actually in awe of the man and the amount of nonsense he manages to spew)
Mr Potatohead Angus Buchan (need I say anything?)
Glenda Wiid (Ms Potatohead - who believes in annointing abusive husband’s heads with oil and asking them for forgiveness for being a crappy wife and deserving his abuse - all the while wearing sexy underwear and lots of lipstick - apparently this will make him a more attentive and loving husband)

the list would, unavoidably, be filled to bursting with politicians. old ju-ju no doubt taking top honours.

Malema, Buchan and Wiid are merely daft and/or deluded, but, if little else, they’re sincere in their convictions. My vote for Most Repulsive South African must go to Marthinus van Schalkwyk, a.k.a. Kortbroek. I stand dumbfounded at the biological enigma presented by a person who exhibits all the traits of being alive and sapient while being composed, seemingly, of nothing but slime.

'Luthon64

Thank you so much for that description. I got to taste my coffee going down and again when it came out through my nose.

Alan Boesak (okok, politicians may be an easy target but…)
Eugine Tereblanche (posthumous but I’m qualifying all these so…)
Manto Tshabalala-Msimang (Oh Manto, how have you fucked up lately, let us count the many, many ways…)

hmm
Perhaps I should make a “I’m not-entirely-sad they’re dead” list.

Juanita du P the gospel singer… :frowning:
Steve Hoffies???

Agree

aaaah! and then we have Marietta Theunissen and all her ilk, what’s that guy’s name with the quantum machine Oh yes! Danie Krugel…politically I find (like Gareth Cliff said) Blade Nzimande repulsive as well, especially his vitriol and hatred of whites and capitalism.

Yeah, actually Danie Botha also has this slimeyness about him.

His political and economical scope on South Africa made me a big fan of Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi until he committed the following verbal diarrhea: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Black-students-still-suppressed-Vavi-20110121

I can’t believe a leader could spout such nonsense!

Liberté ! egalité ! fraternité !
Vavi ¿

But that’s what leaders do. Tell the people what they want to hear. You stay popular and therefore get lots of support. If you have to do something not so popular you put the right “spin” on it or you wangle it so it looks like your opponent did it. Or your spokesman say you were quoted out of content. Maybe I am cynical, but if I hear somebody in authority say something, I think what is behind it.
Here he was speaking to students, most of who is not doing to well. They don’t want to hear that they have to start working so, blame something else.

Recently, I have picked-up that the overall South African attitude, especially amongst Skeptics, are very negative towards political leaders and the participation in politics. According to my worldview, political leaders are needed to guide mankind and politics is the platform to facilitate that purpose. Did the circumstances change so much that politics became a magnet for sleazy opportunist without any integrity?

Where are the Lincoln’s, Churchill’s and Gandhi’s of our time?

Are my concerns real or do we have to accept the fact that political leaders are just human beings like the rest of us and are prone to making mistakes, just as we accepted the fact that we live in an imperfect world?

Lincolns, Churchills and Ghandis. Cometh the hour cometh the man.

Oberstgruppenfuhrer st0nes (Punctuation, region South)

Apologies Stones,

My personal editor is on leave. :wink:

Are my concerns real or do we have to accept the fact that political leaders are just human beings like the rest of us and are prone to making mistakes, just as we accepted the fact that we live in an imperfect world?
Problem comes in when it is not honest mistakes. When these "mistakes" are clear nepotism, corruption or just plain incompetence. I agree, we need a real leader, until then we will just slowly sink to the bottom.

Yes. It’s not in a politician’s interests to have fixed or unpopular principles. Politics has become chiefly about winning support, not actually doing anything really positive.

And be careful painting Gandhi as lilywhite. There’s at least as much myth about him as man. Why he is hailed as a hero by many black South Africans can only be explained by their not knowing what he actually fought for.

'Luthon64

How about a forum rule that members who have never posted anything in Afrikaans are disallowed to criticize Afrikaner’s English?

This being in the Fun sub-forum, it’s hard to say if that is an earnest suggestion, but it would be much like a rule disallowing those who have never practised medicine from criticising CAM.

I understand that correcting someone’s language errors can be annoying because it seems that the properness of the words is taken as more important than the ideas they intend to convey, but aren’t accuracy and correctness in all spheres what scepticism strives towards? Why should written language be exempt?

'Luthon64