My book on the shelf

i am juvenile actually, and silly. its called having a sense of humour. i dont need to talk like gordon brown to be smart. just so you know. neither do i have a be a dried up old fart to have something worthy to say. just coz you cant follow, and your lack of sense of humour is obviously lacking, doesnt mean that anybody else gives a rat’s ass how i write.
last time i checked, this is a skeptics forum, not a grammer school forum. if you dont like what i have to say, then bitch about what i have to say, grammer, spelling and punctuation has got sweet blue fuckall to do with the topic at hand. eventhough the topic has derailed at some point.
take me on about what i have to say, or stfu. just so you know, since you are obviously rolling your eyes, it means shut the fuck up. catch up, this is 2010.
and as much as good grammar and spelling is needed, and, i do confess, something that irritates the living shit out of me when done wrongly, this is sure as hell not the place to have to ponder punctuation placement. when i write my thesis, then i will give a crap about being stuck up.
when the topic is being heatedly debated, you wring your nads over spelling? huh?
and, quite honestly, if you dont find my commentary worth replying to, then dont. get a hobby for bob’s sake.

LOL! Keep cool old girl. Pop a valium or something. I’ll make a compromise - when you start making an effort to write comprehensibly, I’ll start making an effort to read what you write.
:stuck_out_tongue:

not gonna happen old duck.
so hows this, you skip my posts completely. and save yourself the agony?
wouldnt want you to pop a vein.

and my drug of choice comes powdered, not pilled.

If you are going to take naturalism seriously and to its logical ends then you have to chuck out ultimate purpose. Agreed. You also have to chuck out Gods, souls and the tooth fairy.

I don’t see why you would have to chuck out consciousness (and the related subjects you mentioned). Is this not something that brain science is currently trying to understand, and making progress on?

And by way of contrast, if you are going to take supernaturalism seriously, you have to be willing to accept ANYTHING. Any explanation as equally valid.

If I am not determining my own purpose, then who is and why should I be persuaded by their interpretation of events? I admit that I don’t necessarily have any real control over whether I achieve my purpose, but if the story is being written by anyone it is me.

Nooo TeleoL, just wanting to have a conversation that moves from one point to another. If you look at the link, you had challenged me on a point and I came back to you with a counter-argument. I defended my book (the subject of this thread) by saying it was for intelligent people (those who ask honest questions and seek real answers) and not for intellectual people (those who think pseudo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo is clever and valid).

It would have been nice to have an answer from you seeing as I was implying that you are an intellectual and therefore not intelligent enough to understand my book. This is not slinging mud, TeleoL, it’s challenging you to debate - challenging you to defend your position. I am waaay tooo juniour on this forum to start mud-slinging.

I think it is important at this point to note that everybody’s opinion is equally valid on this forum. because it is just that - an opinion. Nobody asked Teleological to ‘answer’ their opinions, merely to respond to an opinion with one of his own. Teleological, you are not being accused of evasion because you cannot answer/prove/disprove whatever is said, you are being accused of evading the discussion by refusing to discuss the topic under discussion (which is the book if I am not mistaken)

Oh, and as for the ‘mudsling badwagon’, perhaps you should start practising what you preach.

Well, to be honest, I don’t know how far you are going to get with type of argumentation.

By definition, intellectual people (and I am not saying I am one btw, you just said the book is not for intellectual people) place a high value on the of use intelligence and reason rather than on emotions or feelings. Of course that does not mean all intellectual people are intelligent. However, since your book is not for intellectual people (including intelligent intelectual people), but like you say for intelligent people, then your book seems to be for intelligent people who would rather use emotions and feelings rather than (like intellectuals) use intelligence and reason. If that is what you are aiming for, no problem. If you think I am not intelligent enough to understand your book, so be it, I just don’t see why you need a response from me. Good luck with the sales, I hope a lot of non-intellectual intelligent people will find it to be a good read.

Oh, I am not preaching anything with regards to mudslinging, it is a feature of this forum and the people here are quite good at it. The mudslingers here (and I have not found one that has not gotten his/her hands dirty here) must just not be hypocrites when a little mud comes their way.

Yeah, but TellyMecchie doesn’t just want his own opinions. He also wants his very own facts. He’s just too much of a chickenshit yellowbelly to come right out with it. Instead he puts on these featherweight tosspot Punch-and-Judy shows and hopes that their sterility will go unnoticed. What an anaphronetic fruitcake. Really akratic, man.

And isn’t it just aaaaw-tooooo-cuuuutieee-paaaai how he keeps coming back as a target for more mudslinging? I guess he’s having lotsa fun getting mud-slung, what with that fetching masochist personality of his. Or maybe it’s a latent Jeeeeesusssss complex - you know, suffering for your faith puts you in your god’s good books or some coma-inducing wank like that.

Hey TellyMecchie, I see you chose to studiously ignore my offer. Or maybe you didn’t see it. Just for you it’s still open with no expiry date, see? So what say you go be a good chump and give it a bash, hmm?

I disagree, all opinions are not equal.

Those based on fatcs and reason and logic trumps those extracted ex recto.

Haha! But I never said that all opinions are equal. What I was aiming at was that all opinions are equally entitled to be evaluated. Only once it has been factually proven with relative certainty that an opinion was “extracted ex recto” can it be discounted as (what’s the word I am looking for…?) silly. :-\

Point taken.

LOL. Good one Lilli. And I think this point, in my opinion, is more equal than TeleoL’s point (hehe).

I went to Exclusive Books in Kollonade yesterday to look for this book. They didn’t have it on the shelves. The idiot I asked for help was wearing a white T-shirt with a big liewe jiesus cross on it. Inside the cross was some psalm, I didn’t really read it. He was quite friendly at first, but after looking up the book on their system his face changed and he replied that they don’t have it in stock; and he doesn’t know when they’ll get it. He also said he can’t check at other branches because their system is down. He referred me to another bookstore.
I tried a couple of other bookstores as well. Funny how bookstores all have a Christian and a religion section. Is Christianity not a sub-section of Religion? Anyhow, I know I can do the Kalahari or ordering thing, but I enjoy bookstores, so I’ll keep on trying.

Watookal, you’re best bet is probably the Centurion bookstore.

My apologies for only getting to you now - my music takes me away for days at a time sometimes.

It’s only Exclusive Books that keeps my book at the moment in SA. And the only branch to actually keep stock is the one in Centurion Mall - it’s R102.00. You can order it at other EB’s but it costs R160.00 to import one at a time. If their system had been up you could have ordered a copy from Centurion. I have been fighting EB head-office on this issue for some time now - I really apologize if you were inconvenienced.

A friend of mine ordered it from kalahari.net and it arrived at her door in 6 days (with postage it came to R150.65).

BTW - my book got into the top 1/4 mil on Amazon (it was rated 244000 a few days ago) so it’s doing REALLY well in the USA and Canada. I’m starting to get emails from Australia, USA, Canada, UK and even Sweden - coooWELLL. It’s really exciting. And I’ve got an article going into Freedom From Religion Foundation’s newspaper next month with distribution throughout the USA - it’s very exciting and encouraging.

I got my copy. And a quiz by the sales attendant whether I knew you, Stevo.

Dude … thanks. My daughter tells me she went in to EB on Saturday and they have sold out. CooooWELLL. This helps EB see that my book will sell if they order copies for each branch - which is my next goal.

Thank you for your support Irrev, please let me know what you think of daBook. Maybe we can “do coffee” if you’re in Pta because you sound like the kind of person I would like to know.

Stevo, I haven’t started your book yet. A few others to finish first. I’ll try to make one of the SITP’s one of these days soon when the craziness subsides a bit.