People believe and defend what they prefer to be true

In the “Gauging Free Will Skepticism” thread, Mefiante speculated:

[url=http://forum.skeptic.za.org/religion-and-philosophy/gauging-free-will-skepticism-1305/msg12364/#msg12364]I expect that people who are more proactive and more willing to take responsibility for their actions and lives will also be more inclined to believe that they have free will, whereas those leaning towards a more fatalistic appraisal of life will tend to withhold their support from the idea that their will is free. This all is, of course, pure speculation but it does raise the question of how much free will is involved in deciding whether one’s will is free…[/url]

So how far from the truth is this speculation? Do those who defend the notion that free will and ultimate responsibility as non-existent, prefer it to be true? And visa versa, do those who prefer to view themselves as ultimately responsible for their actions out of their own free will prefer it to be true even though there is no empirical scientific evidence either way?

Do you think it is in principle even possible to empirically confirm or deny free will and ultimate responsibility?

I for one would love if telekinesis, telepathy and astral travel were true and possible. I also like vampires. A lot.

I guess I’d prefer the Super Natural to be true. Ghosts and beasties and stuff. Fun, fun, fun. I wouldn’t even mind a goddess or two. But yhwh? That fucker I’ll have to take the sword up against for sure.

I don’t care about Free Will either way.

Phew, thank goodness you don’t believe or defend it :-. I guess you must be a counter example (you really really really prefer it to be true lol) or just your average contrarian? I think B is more likely, but that is just me :-*.

I prefer it to be true and I don’t defend it.

There isn’t anything ‘really really really’ about it and you should stop adding things to my words.

Unlike adding to the bible, you won’t end up in hell, but you are never gonna make sense responding to things you think I say.

So how about ultimate responsibility cyghost? Or is that a bit too close to free will and thus you don’t care much for it either? And do you think (I’ll repeat the question again just for you ;)) it is in principle even possible to empirically confirm or deny free will and ultimate responsibility?

::slight_smile:
chews on popcorn
::slight_smile:

what the hell is ultimate responsibility?

it is in principle even possible to empirically confirm or deny free will and ultimate responsibility?
I don't know.

It must be what the boss has.

Mintaka

… or that of Captain America, Giant-Man, the Wasp, Iron Man, Thor, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye and Black Widow.

'Luthon64

LOL nice one! ;D

Or like Peter Parker, “With great power comes great responsibility.”