Post your bike.

So I was surprised to find another member driving the same motorbike as me. And a number of other members seem to “live to ride”. So what’s your steed?

Mine: 2006 Suzuki GSR600, about 17k on the clock.

Currently being stripped down (by me) to confirm a suspected conrod failure.

My current ride (2007 model GSR 600 - Same as Boogie’s)and my dream ride (which is waaayyyy out of my abilities). :confused:

My kid on the Sporty. :smiley: ('07 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL1200L, very slightly modified >:D)

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/off-topic/post-your-bike/?action=dlattach;attach=790

On what is to my mind one of the best balanced motorcycles of all: A Yamaha SR250. Hundreds of pharmacy deliverymen can’t be wrong. It’s 240cc mill is almost bulletproof, and frugal as hell, while still being torquey enough to lug my overfed ass around at a swift 90km/h. At 35,000km, its already paid for itself in petrol savings!

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/off-topic/post-your-bike/?action=dlattach;attach=792;image

I don’t know about that, you seem to lean into that corner very competently! :slight_smile:

You know what they say: no pikchas, no bike! :stuck_out_tongue:

Petrol savings:
For those who enjoy an algebraic challenge -
Suppose you buy a small motorcycle for Cm rand. You find that it consumes on average Vm liters of petrol per 100km. In contrast, your car consumes Vc liters per 100km. The fuel price is Cf per liter. How far do you have to ride your new bike before it has paid for its purchase price in fuel savings?

Rigil

Fair enough. Screen has since been removed, an aftermarket one I got with but didn’t like.

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/off-topic/post-your-bike/?action=dlattach;attach=794

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/off-topic/post-your-bike/?action=dlattach;attach=796

Wow, very sleek machine! Nice choice - both you and Faerie. :slight_smile:

Rigil

Thank you. I’m going to try and not be tooo chuffed with myself here…

It is a beautiful thing, however when you ride it you learn to love it so much more.

I’m quite relaxed about letting other people drive it, and everyone gets off with a silly grin on their face. It really is such a sweet thing to ride.

I dig your hog too, a friend has one, and I think it’s one of the better looking Harleys (me not being a general hog fan).

Consider it a date! :wink:

Rigil

Lol, you’ll have to wait until I collect it off the shelves and floor of my garage and re-build that huge meccano project.

Never learnt to ride properly, but bikes still fascinate me. Dad had an old BSA we used to tinker with in my early teens. Never got it finished before he passed, but one of my fondest memories is still learning how pistons and con-rod assemblies work. (The fun way! By taking it appart!)

(wtf!!)

Not sure what’s confusing here. The driver of the black Land Rover seems to have rear-ended one of the bikers (~0:24) as the camera passes, possibly having antagonised some of the bikers earlier. The bikers at the rear confront the driver but he or she takes off hooting (~0:50), driving over some of the parked bikes. The next bit is the chase on the freeway. After the Land Rover takes a turn-off, it briefly gets caught behind some other cars (~5:05) but again takes off as one biker tries to open the driver’s door, almost knocking him/her down. The pursuit continues for another minute and the Land Rover is forced to stop by city traffic where he/she is dealt a sobering dose of sprocket justice.

'Luthon64

Not so much confused (WTF??) as amazed (cf. WTF!!) by the little drama. To me it looks as if the first rider to get hit, after pulling in in-front of the car, decelerated almost immediately. Just seems a bit, erm, brave, whatever the motive.

Rigil

Oh, okay, my bad. I assumed confusion.

But yes, bravery, stupidity … tomayto, tomahto. Mind you, the biker’s actions didn’t seem gratuitous and he did have all his mates there. They came to the party, so to speak.

'Luthon64

Why, no bad done at all.

Another curiosity from the ill defined world of net slang is the monstrous ROFLMAO. It is in common use, yet at the same time bumless geeks are a rarity. We must conclude that its intended meaning is often less that literal.

Maybe in expressing suprize/amazement I should forego web cool and stick to the less fashionable but more rigorous goodness gracious me! :slight_smile:

Rigil

goodness gracious me!

Yes, but what does it mean? :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a more informative account of what went down in that video.

It means that that Mail Online article wears its anti-biker bias like an election button. :stuck_out_tongue:

To clarify: I don’t condone the bikers’ retaliatory actions but the news report doesn’t even consider the possibility that Lien may have provoked them earlier through some ill-advised incitement, e.g. impatiently trying to pass them or something. I’m sure the bikers among you will confirm that riding in busy traffic is highly stressful to begin with, no less so when there are lots of other bikers around you, and the last thing you need is some asshat behaving badly and endangering you and/or invading your safe space. Road rage is a common phenomenon for this reason.

'Luthon64

I mean the words, “Goodness gracious me”, the meaning is no more clear than ROFLMAO, they’re just seperated by a generation or so.

I think both parties acted badly, fwiw.

I’m sure the bikers among you will confirm that riding in busy traffic is highly stressful to begin with, no less so when there are lots of other bikers around you, and the last thing you need is some asshat behaving badly and endangering you and/or invading your safe space.

Yes, it is stressful, drivers do stupid stuff. My pet hate is actually people crossing between cars standing at a light instead of at the crossing. Which means as you filter through (no matter how cautiously) you can have a clueless person standing in front of you at any moment. Compared to that, stupid car drivers are much easier to anticipate.

Road rage is a common phenomenon for this reason.

While “I understand” the reason for the rage, I have an issue with the “mob justice” attitude a lot of bikers have, which itself just breeds more disdain for bikers from the general public. I know a number of people who wouldn’t bat an eyelid at breaking mirrors off, kicking cars, etc. for some minor infraction on the part of the car. IMHO, this is a crime, plain and simple, and does nothing for making car drivers more courteous towards bikers.