Pres. Zuma blames Christianity.

His rationale sucks and his alternative is “The old african ways” so don’t go get too excited.

President Jacob Zuma has blamed religion, particularly Christianity, for the loss of humanity in society.

The ANC leader, who was ordained as a priest of the Full Gospel Church, in KwaZulu-Natal in 2007, said yesterday that the arrival of Christianity brought problems for Africans.

"As Africans, long before the arrival of religion and [the] gospel, we had our own ways of doing things.

“Those were times that the religious people refer to as dark days but we know that, during those times, there were no orphans or old-age homes. Christianity has brought along these things,” he said.

Well, for once Zuma does have a point. As far as I know, the “old African ways” entailed children growing up in large families, in which uncles, aunts and older siblings all helped with parenting, so in this sense there were indeed no orphans in such societies. Even in the west, such families were common until the early twentieth century, and there is much to be said for it.

But of course, the “old African ways” also carried with them all manner of absurd beliefs, constant tribal warfare, and sometimes brutal dictators like Shaka, so perhaps we should not be too eager to return to those ways.

There will, I hope, be a return to this form of lifestyle. I don’t particularly like the isolated pockets represented by the modern nuclear family. I think there is far more to be gained than lost by the sort of family represented by the Waltons, anyone remember that?

The family home should be a family investment, not just something paid for by crippling one or two salaries over 20 years then sold towards a retirement village.

I would love the freedom to go on holiday with the home under the care of extended family, the security of knowing children can depend on multiple parental figures, and the ability to share resources between several income groups.

You want to live with your mother in law? :o

The glaring anomaly is that Zuma had himself ordained as a priest and panders to Christian sentiments in elections, yet blames Christianity for the collapse of the family. One could hardly attach any significance to his inconsistent views in this regard.