Re: Religious e-mails (and the evolution of the perfect snappy comeback) - split

cyghost - I didn’t respond as I would have liked because I am at work now, we can continue later.
“Mild mannerd Bruce Banner can release the inner Hulk or sumthin.” I believe you.
Acting in an abrasive and rude manner and then invoking “don’t be a baby” does not make your behavior acceptable or excusable. This is merely using social pressure to legitimize.

Also: it was not so much ad hominem as I was questioning your conduct directly, not as an attempt to devalue your argument.

Also about possession, yes not about narcotics.

This is a troll:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RCsZR7j4rE4/SxTgjsBhwSI/AAAAAAAABDc/MLpVs9onw1Y/s800/troll.jpg

This is me:

Please use your skeptical powers of perception to discern a difference.

Have a good day

With the caveat of course that one must distinguish between exaggeration for the sake of highlighting ridiculous notions on the one hand, and outright fabrications on the other.

In any case, “possession” as a cause of epilepsy has absolutely zero functional value. Quite the opposite, actually, because it leads to such depraved lunacies as exorcism. In contrast an organic or psychological appraisal can provably help the afflicted. Denying this is yet another of religion’s stunningly inane accomplishments.

okay

Acting in an abrasive and rude manner and then invoking "don't be a baby" does not make your behavior acceptable or excusable. This is merely using social pressure to legitimize.
Jesus Christ. So your fist post here was a token of civility and an honest attempt to instigate conversation? Insulting others and when I respond in kind I am 'abrasive' and 'rude'? So be it. And fuck you mate. :D
Also: it was not so much ad hominem as I was questioning your conduct directly, not as an attempt to devalue your argument.
You understand the difference between an ad hom attack and an ad hom fallacy right? When you made your first post and in subsequent responses to me, you use add hom attacks, some in response to my own. (which was of course instigated by your first offensive post)

I don’t mind it and I think you shouldn’t either what with not wanting to appear to be a hypocrite and all. Hence the stop being a baby about it see?

When you said you didn’t want to argue with me because of my avatar / nick name, you were in fact committing the ad hom fallacy.

I hope you now understand the distinction. And how it applies to you here.

Quite the opposite, actually, because it leads to such depraved lunacies as exorcism. In contrast an organic or psychological appraisal can provably help the afflicted. Denying this is yet another of religion's stunningly inane accomplishments.

I’m familiar with an off the wall, batshit crazy schizophrenic. The person wasn’t always in the “batshit crazy” section of the spectrum. However the family of the person insisted that the cause was demonic possession (telling a schizo that the voices are real?!), an exorcism an lots of praying ensued, at the end of which the person had gone so far over the edge that they can no longer function in society. Only after did the family succumb and admit them into professional care. It was way too late.

I also know a person who is a “functioning, working, borderline normal” schizophrenic, who has been on medication all the time, admitted to hospital when things got bad, and is coping quite well…

I thus agree, it doesn’t help, and indeed causes more harm.

I’d prefer weed.

“When you said you didn’t want to argue with me because of my avatar / nick name, you were in fact committing the ad hom fallacy.
I hope you now understand the distinction. And how it applies to you here.” oh right.

Are you really a vampire/ghost?
Then it wouldn’t be ad hom, because of a genuine fear for my own life.
not fallacy but fact!

“which was of course instigated by your first offensive post” wha?
My posting of the pic of the PROOF that the power of prayer works is offensive?
I am sorry to have offended you, it was not my intent.
I was merely attempting to destroy you false and erroneous beliefs and save your soul.

Hope to see you all at SiTP tonight.
:smiley:
We can get into possession and further helping you skeptics to not be so silly later.

Lol. Challenge accepted!

Rest assured it was a fallacy.

My posting of the pic of the PROOF that the power of prayer works is offensive?
If your fist post was meant humorous, so was mine. If it wasn't, neither was mine. I should warn you any emotion you read in my posts are projection. I use robust and direct language becasue I am tired of bullshit. Life is too short for this much bullshit.
I am sorry to have offended you, it was not my intent.
okay.
I was merely attempting to destroy you false and erroneous beliefs and save your soul.
Fuck you.
Hope to see you all at SiTP tonight.
Are you bringing your tazer?

[/quote]
Jesus is definitely not in their hearts, he wouldn’t fit.
[/quote]
i have nothing intelligent to add, except LMFAO ;D

actually, i do have somthing to add.
why if one is as religious as whats-his-face 93 evidently is. and he seems to be quite the intellectual, or he own a dictionary.
what, pray tell, is he doing on a sceptics site (i assume he knows that religion would be duly bashed here), and then joining, and, of all things, posting this half-arsed front-page from a newspaper (i think we have all agreed) is prone to publish rubbish at the best of times.

is he bored?
is he retarded?
doest he have friends?
or is he just looking to poke the sleeping dog?

surely he can have a more satisfying, and less abusive conversation with his religious peers? or does he enjoy getting blasted to kingdom come by superior reasoning?

that pic he added of himself, smoking a cigar wearing hugh hefner gear, makes me think of a bear. no, not pooh bear. the bear that wear leather and has a gaggle of pretty boys he spanks on the regular. its GAY. and the specs is so sherlock holmes, and we all know he was quite fond of watson…

the troll, at least, has a fashionable 'do, and a six pack.

if fight-picking and nit-picking and ball-scratching was what mister whats-his-face was lookin for, he sure found it. i personally, reserve my arguments for people who appreceate the irony of it, and the logic, for that matter. i would rather go visit my gynea than try and convince religious types of the error in their ways. i would have more success teaching my cats freud.

i did, though, much enjoy the banter. hurrah!! for Sceptics!

He wanna save our souls!! Praise the gods! When he arrives at the pearly gates he can state that he has PERSONALLY saved X amount of souls during his time on earth and it will guarantee him a golfcart and a virgin at his side to spend etirnity with…

Waitaminute… there are golfcarts in heaven??

ja,and tiger woods is your personal coach, if you dont mind him walking around with a 9 iron lodged in his skull…

Read it somewhere on Rapture Ready. They even discuss the clothes they’ll be wearing in heaven. You want some light humour, go read here:

It gets a bit much after a while though, take bite-size portions. :stuck_out_tongue:

You want some light humour, go read here: http://www.rr-bb.com/

(wtf!!)

I’m not a fan of golf, but golfcarts are friggen awesome! I may have to reconsider this whole deal…

Unless I can have some assurance of the equivalent, you know, “down under”.

down under you get strippers, drugs and sodomy. so make sure you order lube for the afterlife.

The question is whether I can barter my soul twice or not I guess. Strippers, drugs and sodomy does sound enticing but man that golfcart…

alas, i allready sold my virgin soul to allah back in the day. so guess whose waiting for me when i die?

Beardy suicide bombers. ;D

Edit: You know, for a culture so sensitive about issues of sex, they sure have some weird heaveanly rewards.