Religion debate on News 24

I don’t know how many of you have been following the debate (or wrote response in) on news 24

But mostley the arguments have been so so. But I must link to this one because it is well written
and one of the best responses I’ve seen.
http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/A-Case-For-God-Jesus-and-The-Bible-A-Critical-Response-20120521

I used to follow it earlier this year, but got bored and now hardly glance at the headlines. Its this constant blah-blah-blah, whine-whinge-do you want some cheese with that, round and round the mulberry bush, you’re going to hell, no you’re going to rot in a coffin argument. Its not even a debate anymore, just a common garden variety brawl.

Well, it is News24 after all. You wouldn’t expect anything better, would you?

Amusement value perhaps? ;D

I suppose its like FSDT, its only funny in small portions spread out over a period of time.

Thanks for that link, it’s seriously good stuff. Of course, the faithful will just carry on regardless and fail to meet any of those very powerful philosophical objections.

'Luthon64

Yeah I read news24 and immediately lost interest. That place is no venue for reasoned discussion. You could go 20 levels into metaphysics just to have some numbnut come out and say:

“Yeah but (describes Pascals wager badly), TAKE THAT STUPID GODHATING ATHEISTS!!! BWHAHAHA!!!”

No thanks. I’m at the point where anything a theist says is so blatantly logically flawed to me, I have to critique every single word in excruciating detail, and different combinations of words, they are just that logically flawed… and then they don’t buy it anyway.

I recently had a protracted debate on a mailing list with a pseudo classical theist. I gave up. I’ve actually come to the point where it’s just better to let idiots spout their garbage. It sucks because I guess to lesser minds that means they win. I’m tired of going through this circular rigmarole, to have someone divert until they’ve gone full circle without understanding any of your points along the way, and then start re-raising points you’ve already clobbered. I’ve also had fun instances of:

“Yeah OK but if we discard formal logic for a moment… (tries to make argument using logic)”

Fuck that. (/rant)

Ja I feel like that two, I’m surprised there are so many who still think they can achieve anything by writing into news24
The sad day when somebody writes in saying Evolution is a lie and none of us care to respond because we’ve all had enough,
and then the crazy’s win.

The problem, as I see it anyway, is that once you accept the smallest inkling of one of their presuppositions/premises, call it what you like - woo reasoning - you’ve set yourself up to lose to their circular garbage, the only thing you can really keep on doing is pointing out the logical fallacies and ask for EVIDENCE, or try asking them why they believe in gods/doG - this usually stuns them for a second or so untill they start up the Intelligent Design engines… Still easy to point out that (oh boy) just because you don’t understand the complxity of (insert almost anything - DNA is a fav) that doesn’t get you to God (argument from ignorance and then some) the point is just don’t even start to go along with any woo reasoning

I agree entirely. I’m so sick of the same boring, flawed, bullshit non-arguments I can’t bring myself to take part in these ‘debates’. I’d rather spend my time doing something worthwhile.