Religious corner in the work's monthly magazine

My S/O had a bit of a disagreement a few months ago with the editor of the work’s monthly magazine because of the “religious corner” which fills up half of the magazine every month with xtian themed articles. His main argument is that religion, as well as politics, should not have feature time in a work-related publication.

He sent this mail through to the powers that is in August last year:

I'd like to applaud xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for taking a stand in what she believes in regarding the "Religious Corner" in the * Times. It has also struck me in the past how the impression could be created that * subscribes to a moral code based primarily on Judeo-Christian values. When you combine that with * insistence on hanging out the dirty laundry on dismissed employees, there is a genuine "fire-and-brimstone" feel to * management style, in my opinion.

Be that as it may, the response offered that followers of other religions are welcome to contribute to the Religious Corner, is fair. However, the real issue is obviously not about favouring one religion over another, or allowing equal. You might offend someone no matter what religion you choose to write about.

With that said, I believe that the Religious Corner has absolutely no place in a corporate communiqué. It is unprofessional and ill-conceived. The sensible thing is to leave it out entirely. Corporate newsletters are not soapboxes for broadcasting material of a personal, subjective and potentially offensive nature.

I am personally an atheist (or a “secular humanist”, if you will), and I find religious proselytisation of any kind insulting and offensive, especially when it is found in a corporate newsletter which I am expected by my superiors to read whenever it is published. I have very strong world views about religion, science and apostasy, but I keep them to myself. Hence, I expect others who do not necessarily agree, to have the courtesy to keep it to themselves as well. Religion and personal faith is a personal thing, let’s keep it that way.

To which he at that point of time, received no response to.

Now he has been approached by their HR department to do a write up for this very same section from a secular point of view in order to give “all religions equal printing space”.

Opinions and suggestions?

I think he should submit just one short sentence:

As even a cursory inspection will make clear, secular humanism is not a religion.

'Luthon64

amen to that. they would be bitching loads if someone wanted to do a AWB propaganda piece in the newsletter.

I go on about this way too much, but he could try:

All bow to the mighty truth of Justnownowism!

But seriously, how do you write an article for the religious section and then still explain that you’re non-religious. Without other people going “HAH! But you wrote for the religious section! Hence atheism is a religion! HAHA!”

Sounds like a bad idea. His entire stance is that the section shouldn’t exist.

He should take up the space but leave it blank.

Rigil

PS Who was that artist that exhibited the unpainted canvasses again?

He should write a piece about the concept of secularity and how inappropriate it is to have one religion represented in the official publication of a multicultural organisation and then offer token representation to others only on receipt of complaints.

Or he could do a nice little opinion piece on the immorality of human sacrifice cults and their concept of paying gods for forgiveness of inherited sins by the torture and killing of innocents, and then symbolically (or literally) eating their flesh and drinking their blood while wearing miniature torture racks around their necks.

Many christians have never even dreamt that their religion might be viewed as immoral.

Take him up on this offer - and then do a write-up on satanism. Let’s see if they are really serious about “giving all religions equal printing space.”

Bwhahahaahaa!! Best response yet! Can you imagine! >:D

It would neatly illustrate precisely why we need separation of church and state, and also separation of church and company.